0bbd5d63f08afbc5375526bd8407ba57a98ba49e00d388bbadea758843d20859

0bbd5d63f08afbc5375526bd8407ba57a98ba49e00d388bbadea758843d20859
overall_rating 3.604166666666667 48

On the second level: I hugely admire the big puzzle room where it keeps turning upside down every time you go through a teleporter. But I can’t for the life of my figure out the solution. Does anyone have a video demo for that area?

I cheated my way through the second level, though I’d still like to know the right way to solve it.

On the third level now (Sun) – close to the end, but I can’t find anywhere to use the Gold Key. It doesn’t open the little turret that is the second building. What am I missing?

Oh, I found it’s one of the cliff ledges behind the houses.

Unregistered user “KenChennar” posted:

Hello MikeTaylor, I hope you’re enjoying the episode so far. I have made a demo for you playing through all of shib2, showing how to solve each puzzle. If I were to guess, you got stuck on the three button puzzle, which I admit is probably the most difficult.

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/demos/orl_shib2.rar

Many thanks, KenChenner, I will check on that!

In the mean time, I finished the fourth level, Shattered Soul of the Scarabrus – all 212 kills on Hard, but only 1/5 secrets. (Though come to think of it, I found two others, but I didn’t pick them up because they were megahealths and I already had 100.)

Pros: lots of great set-pieces, and a unique sense of the whole area being literally crazy. Cons: arbitrary progression, loss of access to some previously visited areas, and a rather sudden, anticlimactic ending. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I did the very beautiful Sun.

[User added a rating.]

Finished the last level, Across the tattered Amyclaean and loved it. Probably the best “realism” map I’ve ever played. So much to explore, so many bad guys to pick off along the way. Ended up with 319 of the 321 kills (but again only one secret).

All in all, this is a truly great pack, not just because of the execution and playability, but because the concept is so unique.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

I’m not sure yet how to rate this pack as a whole. I haven’t tried all the maps yet, and really didn’t get on with a couple of the giant ones that I had a go at.

“Blastocyst” is great though! Mostly a “puzzle” map, so you fundamentally have to be OK with button-puzzle-stuff in your Quake-ing to enjoy it. I am, and I liked the central gimmick about how the main space works (which I guess I won’t spoil here). And the actual puzzle-ness ends up being pretty straightforward.

One thing I’m not sure about: there seemed to be one puzzle that requires an understanding of how to best use/exploit strafing in air control, while taking your finger off of the +forward key. That seemed a little arcane for something on the main progression path… however maybe I was just overlooking the actual solution.

Also the last fights leading up to the exit are placed in a super-trippy setting. I don’t think I’ve seen anything quite like that, and it was disorienting in a cool way.

[User added a rating.]

I ended up quite liking the western-themed map too. Good work at presenting an open zone but still having discrete routes that you need to find and use to open new areas. The terrain work is distinct too, cool stuff. Buildings are a bit cookie-cutter and mostly not interesting inside, but they’re not really the point of the map.

[User added a rating.]

The map “Shattered Soul of the Scarabrus” won the “Best Oddball Map” category at the Quake Awards 2018.

[User added a rating.]