0e59751801a4d3ed1153c56f393081c2e25ff2ada94fb2ba9ed905027ead8676

0e59751801a4d3ed1153c56f393081c2e25ff2ada94fb2ba9ed905027ead8676
overall_rating 3.870967741935484 31

Forum thread for demonslair

Unregistered user “Lord of the Undead” posted:

Obscenely hard, cruelly designed and somewhat frustrating. These are exactly what make really good Quake maps so goddamn fun.

Unregistered user “Spirit” posted:

With a bit more health this map would be much more enjoyable. The end is just mean.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

I found the difficulty quite comfortable on this map (skill 1), and I can’t say I struggled with the same issues that the commenters above had. To me this is a great example of a good, early-ish map in Quake’s history; it’s no looker, but it’s hardly ugly and it more than makes up for its lack of visual flair with great gameplay that challenges you to think carefully about how you fight.

It’s never so challenging as to be unreasonable, though; for example, at the end of the map the player is given both a YA and a megahealth right before the final climax, as well as plenty of ammunition. But, not enough ammunition. To really succeed in that combat, I needed to have conserved my nails in previous areas, which I tend to do in general and my habit served me quite well here.

Definitely a great map.

No trouble on skill 2, I didn’t even see the MH or YA.

Worth playing.

Played it again.

The layout is simple but fun because of decent enemy placement and choice, though it’s easy to abuse the corners. I’d say the design & lighting are very good for the time also.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Satisfyingly straightforward. Not a classic, but very chunky and enjoyable. In the late 1990s it would have felt superb, but now the small size and lack of internal coherence mark it down a couple of stars for me. BTW. contra some earlier comments, it’s not particularly hard – at least, not if you like to play slowly and carefully.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

I did find this to be quite a challenge for its size–two deaths–mostly due to the tight geometry and monster placement. If you’re playing on skill 2 you do have to be quite careful, and quick-witted too, for there are some nasty ambushes.

Loved this! Nice challenge on nightmare, with some good traps. I liked the main trap which I’ll not say any more about. Good architecture and lighting. Highly recommended.

[User added a rating.]