170d1f78fa5f6d17bf91a761c5a89659a4d75273cd8a87f4dc90c1e2f721258a

170d1f78fa5f6d17bf91a761c5a89659a4d75273cd8a87f4dc90c1e2f721258a
overall_rating 2.641025641025641 15

Forum thread for sm48_pack

Unregistered user “Daz” posted:

Holy hell, blast from the past :slight_smile:

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

i do love the spiral towers of sm48_xen.

[User added a rating.]

Yeah, those spirals blew me away too!
I wonder how he did that.

GET ON THE HOTDOG!

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

sm48_crap lives up to its name. Complete nonsense.

sm48_czg is as ugly as sin and has no bad-guys. I can only assume “great-lookiing” in the description is sarcasm.

sm48_daz is rubbish.

sm48_push is the first one that looks and plays like a quake level. it’s not a great one, but then for a speedmap it has some decent gameplay. It's nice standing over the pit of spawns are firing rocks down into it.

sm48_ray is a decently done deathmatch arena, but useless for SP.

sm48_scampie is a whole actual level, and quite fun and challenging to play. Definitely the best up to this point.

sm48_starbuck is a big empty level that could have been fun with a few monsters tossed in. Shame that flat, ugly non-ID textures are used.

Finally, sm48_xen is yeat another unpopulated area. A nice experiment in architecture, and the spiral towers are indeed nice, but there’s absolutely nothing to do (unless I missed something clever).

All in all, really disappointing, even for speedmaps.

Overall, most of them achieve a Quake 3 ish look with simple textures based on single colours. Some of them go for r_drawflat look.

Crap: SP only map. Good for speedrunning. Couldn’t find the exit.

Czg: DM only map, liked it.

Daz: a single room, nothing on it, quite good brushwork.

Push: SP only map. Good brushwork and colour choices. Fast paced and fun vertical combat. Liked the symbols on the bottom.

Ray: DM only map. Simple brushwork, varied layout. The textures, even though they are flat, add to the map by its novelty and neatness.

Scampie: SP only map. Tight and DM like layout. Good brushwork and fun to play.

Starbuck: SP map. Clearly unfisnished, lacks gameplay and items. But looks quite good.

Xen: DM only map. Quite impressive looks with just two textures.

[User added a rating.]

Is Xen really a DM map? The only items in the map are in one place as far as I can tell, and it doesn’t work in DMSP.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]