199166ee1d338042cc9e04c9420a470c63457cc6a74eddaf4e32794bc3526df5

199166ee1d338042cc9e04c9420a470c63457cc6a74eddaf4e32794bc3526df5
overall_rating 3.0 31

Forum thread for crucible

Unregistered user “Ankh” posted:

Nice layout. Lot’s of possible routes with use of trickjumping.

gotta say I found it completely useless.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Nice map, I didn’t like only too primitive outdoor.

[User added a rating.]

I really liked this one. I think this might be one of the better maps from 1996. The map offers a couple different approaches to finding your way around and has a pretty good challenge as well. I got stuck a couple times…and by stuck I mean literally stuck. Once on geometry and once because it seemed to me there was no way out? I could be wrong. You be the judge though: The Crucible on The Quake Grave

[User added a rating.]

I couldn’t find a way out on that part either, and if that’s just what happens there, it’s horrible design. Apart from that though, pretty fun level. I like the combat because there are often multiple ways of disposing of enemies, and I also like the creative use of teleporters at the end. Although getting the rocket launcher at the end is pretty pointless, at that point all there was left for me was a shambler. Overall it’s a nice level, especially for 1996.

[User added a rating.]

This is really good for a '96 level, it’s got a nice metal aesthetic and the gameplay is mostly good (mostly because I couldn’t figure out how to get out of one part, and nobody else seemed to be able to either). There’s a nice variety of enemies (both tech and fantasy) and I enjoyed exploring the map as well. The ending has a really cool mechanic involving teleporters, though giving the player the rocket launcher at that point is pretty much pointless, and I kinda wish there was a larger end battle. Overall, it’s worth a playthrough. 4/5

[User added a rating.]

A fast and frantic level with intense combat, good flow and a few cool features. The lighting and architecture were quite nice as well. Overall one of the better and well-paced maps I’ve played from the early Quake days.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

I found this annoyingly arbitrary, and the cage trap near the beginning was just awful. I can’t award more than two stars, even in the context of 1996. (You can get the rocket-launcher early by grenade-jumping to it, by the way.)