[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

FifthElephant made a patch for this, for those interested: http://www.quaketastic.com/files/single_player/maps/chotex_patch.zip

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “MikeTaylor” posted:

I enjoyed Lilac Lunacy (ctj_greenwood) without being particularly aware of any lilac. It’s nicely balanced with decent combats, though marred by an arbitrary progression that doesn’t make much sense as a journey through a real place. But worst is a bug related to the silver key that made it impossible for me to legitimatelt get through the SK door, and so robbed me of what would have been an enjoyable fiend ambush. I noclipped and notargetted my way past this bit and came back later to take out the fiends.

[This comment had to be restored. See this thread for context. This means that there might be problems with its formatting or content missing. The information if the user posted while being logged in was not restored. -Spirit]

Menth Erdis (ctj_ish) is clever, but I didn’t enjoy it at all — no part of it. A lot of that is because it’s so difficult, but the thing is there are many different kinds of difficulty, and this map hits all the wrong points for me (I realise others’ tastes may differ). It’s difficult because of the difficulty breathing, in the early stages. It’s difficult because of sudden deaths out of nowhere, as with the circular saw. It’s difficult because of how it is to find your way underwater. It’s difficult because of swarming by lots of tiny, hard-to-hit monsters. It’s difficult because there’s no nearly enough ammo. It’s difficult because of ambushes in pitch darkness with no room to manoeuvre. And, finally, it’s difficult because of a poorly queued puzzle right at the end.

I did beat it, but only by cheating in giving myself more ammo (give s 100). And by the end, I was feeling relieved that it was over, rather than pleased with myself.

All of which is a shame, because the map scores highly on architecture and atmosphere (apart from the brief non-sequitur above-water part). But everything about the game play is the opposite of what I enjoy.

[This comment had to be restored. See this thread for context. This means that there might be problems with its formatting or content missing. The information if the user posted while being logged in was not restored. -Spirit]

And Castle Illbedamned (ctj_chrisholden) goes to the other extreme, being very generous with the ammo and health, and being scrupulously fair throughout — even warning that pickup up the Axe Of Shadows will wake the zombies, as though we hadn’t guessed. But it works well anyway for two reasons: the nice use of architecture, returning to the central area several times from different directions; and the escalation in monster difficulty, concluding with a properly different final combat. Very nice.

I enjoyed Retribution Revisited (ctj_juz2) for its entremely satisfying, chunky combats and for its sense of exploration, but I found the ending a bit anticlimactic, especially as I finished with so many kills unkilled (presumably hidden in secrets) that I felt sure the teleporter that turned out to be the exit was going to take me to an end-game area. Lots of fun, though.