218a98f27eb5fa8053ea3bff0e72fa818b24f06c7a175bf35d87d490c1ecad07

218a98f27eb5fa8053ea3bff0e72fa818b24f06c7a175bf35d87d490c1ecad07
overall_rating 4.4 15

Forum thread for sm40contest

Great maps!

I just played The Box Factory (sm40zwei), Zwiffle’s contribution, which Vondur judged as the runner up (of the two maps submitted to this competition). Wow. It’s a beautifully constructed and very atmospheric base, with well-judged progressive difficulty. Really nice, and should arguably have had a release of its own. Four stars for that map; rating for the pack to follow after I’ve played the other map.

[User added a rating.]

I played The Slipgate Complex (fmb_sm40.bsp), a level which arguably has a name lacking in originality. Marvellous – beautiful, chunky brushwork that you don’t get caught on, nicely escalating difficulty, and lovely atmospheric use of darkness and mist. If I were to criticise it at all, it would be on the grounds that it’s too easy (on hard). Even finding only two secrets, and not using one of them, it was easy to finish with loads of spare health, armour and ammo.

Still, it’s a clear 4/5, which means that the pack as a whole also merits that score.

Do I agree with Vondur’s judgement? Hard to say. The Slipgate Complex is the more beautiful and atmospheric of the two maps, but The Box Factory plays better. I make it an honourable draw.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

We are most amused. 5 stars.

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “I Like Quake” posted:

At the end of fmb_sm40 the door beneath the red button won’t open. I figured I have to press the red button to open the door beneath it but I can’t get up there by any normal means, there’s no elevator, nothing, apart from what seems to be an unresponsive brush glitch left of the door to open.
The only way I figured to get up there and press the red button is to get the Quad and do a 'nade jump. Anybody have this issue?

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

To I Like Quake:
There is a portal in the room under the floor. You can get into it if you jump onto platforms that are above the lava surface on both sides of the platform. You will be teleported to the button that opens the final door.

[User added a rating.]