39f4a9b59d644fe940247b8fa7cf9b5c11b65c681939faaceb4814e45aeb99c3

39f4a9b59d644fe940247b8fa7cf9b5c11b65c681939faaceb4814e45aeb99c3
overall_rating 4.387080103359174 45

Forum thread for ne_lend_doom

Unregistered user “Ankh” posted:

Living End is one of my favourite maps. Perfect lighting. Good ambushes. Interesting layout. Rewarding secrets.

Unregistered user “MegaQuaker” posted:

I loved it too. Awesome architecture. Not a lot of monsters but it makes good use of the monsters it does have. Plus Living End is one of my favoirte Doom II maps, can’t turn down a Quake map inspired by it!

Unregistered user “Daz” posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPKhoDDV2IU Video playthrough of ne_lend.

Unregistered user “hkBattousai” posted:

Could have been excellent if there weren’t so much disturbing traps.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Best re-imagining of a Doom level in Quake that I’ve seen. The Living End is my favorite Doom II level as well or very close at least. Don’t miss Waystation either, it’s a good side map.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

LAVA CAVA

ne_doom (“Elder World Waystation”) is decidedly the more interesting of the two maps for me, both visually and in terms of gameplay. It’s great to be able to run around a space station which is visibly floating in space (the skybox here is perfect), and actually have a sense of interacting with the station’s machinery. I also like the way one gets to ne_doom from ne_lend (though immersion is broken somewhat by the player’s not keeping their weapons from the previous map). Unfortunately a lot of the potential atmosphere gets lost in the perpetual onslaught – even though monster count is luckily not quite as insane here as in ne_lend, combat is nonetheless relentless and taxing.

As for ne_lend (“The Living End”): I understand the Doom nostalgia, but to me personally this kind of gameplay is just exhausting (I was never a big fan of the later episodes of Doom either): waves upon waves of monsters, and countless setups where you just perform some arbitrary action (e.g. push some button) to release the next wave(s) of enemies, because that is obviously the only way to progress. Needless to say, it is very competently put together, but neither the gameplay nor the environment really speak to me (I’m not a big fan of the “This Onion”-ish black lava cavern aesthetic).

So overall, ne_lend (“The Living End”) is a 3/5 to me, and ne_doom (“Elder World Waystation”) a 4/5 – so 3 plus overall, despite how objectively good both maps may be (and I realise I am in the minority here, judging by the other comments and ratings).

[User added a rating.]

Edit: I guess what I said about Doom’s later episodes above does not make sense, as ne_lend (as I now l realise) is based on a Doom 2 map (d’oh!) – but perhaps the same applies anyway (it’s been a long while since I last played Doom 2, so I’m not sure). The point was just that I’m not a big fan of the kind of relentlessly insane twitchy gameplay that some players love, and which necros seems to emulate here.