[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “Vasya shkolnik” posted:

Nice! Good present for New Year!

[User added a rating.]

Beautiful maps!

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Mostly 4/5 maps, few 3s. Last map very sweet :3 good job!

I only played Bal’s map so far and it was great.

[User added a rating.]

A Warm Welcome Home (xmasjam_bal) is a really lovely base map, beautifully constructed, and with perfectly escalating difficulty, culminating in an extremely epic battle on top of the base. I got all 135 kills (on hard) but only one of the nine(!) secrets – and even that one was under an elevator! Like my all-time favourite map, Telefragged, this one does a really nice job of partially destroying the environment, and it’s great to see. Really, this is about as good as a base map this size can be, and worth five stars right out o the gate.

Astonishingly, this seems to be Bal’s first published map – unless he’s the same Bal that contributed one of the nine unthemed deathmatch maps to 2001’s sm7_pack, which seems pretty unlikely. What a debut!

Remains in a Manger (xmasjam_dumptruck) is really, nice, too: a bijou dungeonette that really makes you work for the 50 kills. I particularly enjoyed the way the medieval and modern worlds are brought together near the end. Not quite substantial enough to score the full five stars, but worth four.

_For Absent Fiends (xmasjam_5th) is nicely constructed but really over very quickly. The highlight was probably facing a bunch of assorted zombies before getting any explosives, the triple shotgun or the sharp axe. Blow 'em up with vore balls! Anyway, a good solid three stars.

In the beginning (xmasjam_breezeep) is another that’s small but perfectly formed. A beautiful, airy temple with a lot of ominous-looking statues that wake at suitable moments. A lot of fun to blast through, though I think it might have been even more fun with the widowmaker. It seems you’re supposed to shoot four hidden buttons (I only found one of them) to release the gold key that gives access to it – but I found out after killing everything that you can just jump across to the gold-key cage and grab it through the bars! All in all, lots of fun so it just scrapes four stars.

I really liked Winter of the Ice Queen (xmasjam_icequeen) – which by the way is by Redfield, not Icequeen, despite the naming of the map. It’s a lovely attempt to do something different with Quake, and the modified visuals work superbly. Yes, the level is disappointingly short, but it’s still a unique experience, well worth four stars. (Also: thank you for the secrets guide in the documentation!)

(Erratum: Breezeep’s map is called Pale Signs of Doom, not In The Beginning as stated above. Sorry.)

Etemenanki (xmasjam_ionous) is just magnificent: a genuinely creepy story expounded through books in the secrets, and a sequence of properly tough combats in distinctive surroundings. Fine, fine work and easily worth five stars.

I got 128 of the 130 kills; given how the other secrets have panned out, I’m guessing the last two kills are in the two (of ten) secrets that I missed. I may go back and hunt for them – I really want to see how the story ends!

If only Ionous’s text-file included a secrets guide!