[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Mazu’s maps have been favourites of mine for a while now, so I naturally began exploring this pack with his entry. I should have known better: it was such a demanding experience that right now I don’t feel like exploring the other maps in this pack for fear of finding them unfairly dull in comparison. I guess I’ll wait a bit before trying them out, to let memories fade away and experience them in a fairer way.

The same pattern as his map in SMEJ2 emerges for me: “cool, tons of enemies” → “hey, and tons of secrets!” → “hm, that’s hard” → “hm… that’s VERY hard” → “forget it, no way I’m finishing this insane map” → “FINALLY made it, can’t wait to start again and score all secrets”. Oh, and remember this pack is based on copper, so Nightmare will be very difficult (I downgraded to Hard when I realised it and restarted the map).

This is not my favourite Mazu map so far, but I’d rate it somewhere between 4 and 5 anyway. There are many insane moments, but if you look carefully for secrets or workarounds, you’ll find that it’s manageable. If you’ve been a fan thus far, you know what to expect, and you’ll probably enjoy it too.

More on the rest of the pack as soon as possible.

[User added a rating.]

Veriloyly map 890 kills, jes and the map on skill 3 is hard as F–k,save every 5 seconds lol all maps 5 star, got to be played.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “aoanla” posted:

I have kind of precisely the opposite final reaction to Mazu’s maps as Gioyo3aa does - I find them so exhaustingly hard and overlong that they’re usually one of the few maps in a pack I give up on ever finishing.

In this pack that’s also a trait shared by riktoi’s offering - both Mazu and Riktoi seem to be doing some interesting things with their maps, but, I’m sorry both of you, even at skill 0, I’m just not good enough to be able keep caring long enough to finish them!

Meanwhile, I did finish all of the other maps in the jam. In fact, my note for MargSabl’s is mostly that I felt that it was perhaps even a little easy on skill 0.
Omni’s map has some nice subtle environmental hints about how the map works - geometry that’s repeated near certain items, and lights that light up.
Pinchy’s map has some secrets I enjoyed and a nice “split structure” and final door.
Fix’s map I think l liked the slightly “experimental” ending on; and wiedo’s map has some interesting “escalating progression”, although it got a bit much for me at the end. Myki’s is great almost up to the end, where it relies on a repeated trick a few too many times for my taste.

(And Newhouse’s is a slight remix of a map from the first Smej - unfortunately, I think I prefer the original…

… which brings me to my other critique of the maps in general. One of the jam requirements was to showcase at least some of a set of new monsters that were part of Smej 2. Some of these monsters are fine. One of them is not fine. Guess which one too many of the maps use too many times?)

Back again with another report of Exploding Boxes that crash to console.
No idea what is going on or how to fix, but just as in SMEJ2, they’re solid_bsp with a non BSP model.
By my guess, they’re entities stuck in the ground/walls.
Touching them, firing any weapon in line of sight of them, aggravating any entities near them all crash to console.
Sometimes even just waiting at the level start crashes to console.

Newhouse’s map btw.

Unregistered user “Amblershambler” posted:

Maps are beautiful, painstakingly and very creatively put together and very impressive for that fact but as 50% of everything on this site (and with increasing frequency), it just about playable but not fun. Hard should be hard, not nightmare, not hell but hard. That’s why it’s called hard. I have no problem with there being a hell mode to cater to people who like being bored but I don’t like being sold that as hard. Quake is not some dumb macho challenge, but something to enjoy. It totally strips the game of any sense of fun. Yes, you can take down five Shamblers locked in a small room with a shotgun but its really REALLY boring. The violence should have a poetic flow to it and hiding behind a corner or pillar to pop off about 40 snipe shots in a row or replaying an unpredictable ambush when 20 fiends spawn behind you randomly is stripping the game of fun. If the mappers put half the effort into making it look beautiful and double the effort in making the gameplay work properly and at a difficutly level in keeping with other maps rather than trying to redefine them, then, for no extra effort the quality of content on this site would increase by an order of magnitude.

Unregistered user “Gitty McGuddingson” posted:

@Amblershambler If you’re having too much trouble, try a lower difficulty setting. It’s not the map pack’s fault you’re bad at the game. Having a hard time on hard and then complaining about it is hilariously daft. What’s the point of difficulty settings if people don’t use them?