4ef3a57e0702ed6442192e9d10b4ede9b1d2a67075dff9d2bb986129ca718b77

4ef3a57e0702ed6442192e9d10b4ede9b1d2a67075dff9d2bb986129ca718b77
overall_rating 4.282051282051282 39

Forum thread for simplex

I’ve already reviewed this map at func, so I’ll leave a link here.

Kind of hard to choose between 4 and 5 hearts, though. Maybe I’d rate the map somewhere between 4,25 and 4,5 so I guess that rounds it to 4 hearts, then.

[User added a rating.]

I thought Ruins of Mazotec was kind of lame and couldn’t understand all the enthusiasm for that map… this has the same aesthetics and similar mechanical devices, but the overall design is a huge improvement. The map has a strong atmosphere, and the layout is also quite nice and intricate with branching paths a la Gloom Keep and good use (and occasional re-use) of space. The secrets are good, with one complex secret that has multiple triggers and another that features an intense ambush. The only weak spot IMO is the combat, which I found repetitive except for the end fight and the aforementioned ambush. Still, all in all, a great map. I agree with Esrael about it being between a 4 and a 5, call it a 9/10.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

I really enjoyed this. To my surprise, the biggest win was not mechanisms, but the difficulty balance. Many times I found myself reduced to low health, but surviving. Genuinely interesting and strategic combats, and plenty of them. And some ammo-conservation problems that somehow were interesting rather than punitive. I’m awarding the full five hearts despite the slightly garish over-lit textures, because what’s Quake about if not fun?

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Yup, great map.

I liked the progression mechanism of moving platforms that slide on tracks in Mazotac, but I loved it here. It’s a clever alternative to doors that offers a lot of possibilities to mappers.