504c064dea217f156e4b9dab38dcad190af9020fe6c7c37c54c9ca0cfdf08eaa

504c064dea217f156e4b9dab38dcad190af9020fe6c7c37c54c9ca0cfdf08eaa
overall_rating 4.325581395348837 43

Forum thread for gth

Unregistered user “Lord” posted:

Wouldn’t load the .bsp

I did it from Quake Injector, so I’ll try again.

Unregistered user “Spirit” posted:

Sorry about that. It should work now.

Unregistered user “Daz” posted:

Video playthrough at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONPbt11ujr4 enjoy :slight_smile:

Unregistered user “hkBattousai” posted:

This map deserves 5 stars, but it has only 3.7 stars. This map is better than most of those 5 star maps.
I am only playing the four star maps just because to find a good one among them.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

A very well-crafted map; far less linear and more interconnected than it seems at first. Good choice of monsters, mostly well used. Very reminiscent of 5rivers, but has the decided advantage of not trying to emulate Doom 3. Tough enemies and tricky terrain make for very challenging combat, but it did not feel unfairly hard.

It works well as a sequel to cda (which I would strongly recommend playing before playing this map), and deliberately echoes the earlier map. This deja vu effect was not always that interesting, though: the final battle in particular was, for all its spectacular violence, rather anti-climactic.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Although the atmosphere is this map is superbly engineered, and the skybox works very well, I had to mark it down to 3/5 because the final combat was just so insanely hard that it wasn’t any fun – and that was on medium. Where does it get fun fighting three gugs and four gaunts in an arena with no cover? Unless I missed an important secret like a pentagram, it’s just not possible. I’m not ashamed to admit I turned on God Model just to make it end.

[User added a rating.]

Finishing my trawl through JPL’s maps, I return to Gateway to Hell, which I see from the comments I actually played a year ago. I scored it 3/5 back then, but I’ve revised it up one star this time, as I found it a more enjoyable exploration. The final combat is hard, but not impossible – I didn’t cheat this time. (Mind you, if I’d been on hard skill, I probably would have done!)

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]