[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Lab-X is different to say the least as I felt I was entering some sort of cartoon operation. The textures clash and things are a bit jarring but it seems this may have been the intention?

Alcazar is a more familiar map. Interesting trap gimmicks and a nice slightly open area to play around in. I felt there was too much ogre population which led to a lot of far away snipping and spam fire. Ammo was a mild issue as well.

I found Laboratory X reasonably enjoyable, except that too much of the challenge came from not having any ammo. At least, not enough that I could use: shells and nails. I actually accumulated the full complement of 100 rockets before realising – D’oh! – that I"d had the grenade launcher since early in the game, and could have been expoding all my enemies.

In the end, I found the exit through a silver-key door with only 151/162. I never found the gold key or discovered what was beyond the gold-key door: presumably the other eleven bad guys.

[User added a rating.]

Neighboring Alcazar’s is a lot better: a blast in open areas in and around a couple of castles, with well-judged difficulty. The unexpected coda, with the very last monster, caught me totally by surprise, and rather satisfyingly I was able to finish it off with 1 health left at the end of the level!

Is there any difference between this Laboratory X and the standalone version found here: https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/omlabx.html?

Bizarrely, yes – it’s a different map.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Although quite dated and ugly in places, these two maps were a lot of fun. The ending of the second map is insane though (at least in Nightmare). Don’t rush too much, you will need ammo and health.