[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

(Points ears, cocks one eyebrow) Fascinating !

The restrictions doesen’t seem to serve as such; on the contrary, they seem to create concepts for these maps.

And it is absolutely marvellous maps that came out of this! I find them breathtaking.

My only complaint: why isn’t there more maps in this pack? Whyyyyy…

Thanks for your efforts; thanks for sharing. Well done!

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “Vasya shkolnik” posted:

I DO HATE multi-task games without ability to think slowly. Do you really have a fun playing such maps?

Sneferu’s SNAFU (sm225_greenwood) is a really nice little map: three sub-quests to be undertaken in any order, all of it in a simple but elegant Egyptian tomb. It’s a nice example of how random constraints can push someone to generate something with a character of its own.

I finished Chthonian Illusion (sm225_konig) with all 41 killls and all seven secrets, so that was satisfying. But I didn’t get the extra treat at the end that Chthon promised me when I found the seventh secret. (Or maybe I did, and it was the red armour and subsequent fight?) Anyway: this is nice, but feels rather too episodic to be perfect match for my tastes.

Octadic Cactoid (sm225_rabbit) is really, really hard, especially at the start where you’re faced with ogres, dogs and grunts armed with nothing but an axe. But, crucially, it’s hard in a satisfying way, so that when I found I way to get through the opening (low on health, almost completely out of ammo), I felt pleased and proud rather than irritated and bored.

The rest of the map is pretty good, too, and has a nice dingy-base aesthetic that works well with the selection of enemies. It never gets easy, exactly, but it does ease off a little as it progresses, despite some tough shambler attacks among other combats. And it finished with a tough arena fight, for good measure.

I made it through the first two unfair ambush traps in A Rapscallion’s Gauntlet (sm225_riktoi), only to be hit with a third. At that point I thought, screw this, I’m not having fun. god-moded through the horde of knights in a confined space only to be hit with an obscure jumping puzzle. Gave it a few shots, then though, screw this, I’m not having fun. noclipped to the end, picked up the key, swam to the final area, and was assaulted by a giant horde of vores and shamblers in a non-navigable space. I should have just quit at that point. Instead, I god-moded and killed 'em all, only to find that was the end.

I appreciate the artistry of this map, but boy was it ever no fun. Maaaybe it would be more enjoyable on normal or even easy, but I am too annoyed by it to try that. On to other things.

Gross Koohooties (sm225_spoot) is a decent way to end the pack. As the name suggests, it uses the Koohoo textures, which are always welcome. Most of the map I enjoyed, but it ends with an arena battle of the kind I like least, with constantly running nail traps that are impossible to avoid and a sequence of enemies spawning on top of you. In the end I got past it with a well-time rocket-jump out of the arena before the combat got properly started, but it was an unsatisfactor conclusion.

All in all, a good pack but not for me a great one. Three stars feels a bit harsh, but I think it better reflects how I feel than four stars would.