6e42a183c0e1992069f53e235285eb3863d4d7fc33f0eb584f262223e174a381

6e42a183c0e1992069f53e235285eb3863d4d7fc33f0eb584f262223e174a381
overall_rating 4.553333333333334 150

Forum thread for dopa

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Can Machine Games get any cooler? After two awesome new Wolfenstein games, we get a whole episode of classic Quake from them. Who needs a Quake reboot, eh? This is brilliant. Textbook Quake level design. Well balanced difficulty on a journey through various classic Quake area themes e.g. base, cave, ikblue style etc.

Very repetitive, very little variety in encounter design, poorly communicated instant death traps, and the secrets are laughably easy (they do get better later on, but barely). Plenty of enemy encounters feel like the high enemy counts merely ended up prolonging them rather than presenting a greater challenge. Most maps follow a very identifiable format that is as follows: player starts in a hub, player has two routes leading out of the hub to clear before finally being allowed access to the exit (some maps allow him to choose the order between the two routes, some maps don’t), the routes are almost entirely self-contained and have little interaction with the rest of the map aside from giving the player a switch or a key needed to progress and looping the player back into the hub. The overuse of such a simple and uninteresting design throughout the episode and the lack of effort to obfuscate it shows a lack of creativity and makes the episode feel very repetitive. The maps are often visually pleasing and that’s about the only merit I can give them.

[User added a rating.]

Actual author: J. F. Gustafsson

Quaddicted first hosted a zip made by me (6d7829a09579e0f1cf692d17b090bd52) in agreement with the author, this zip has now been replaced with an official zip by him (5192d715d4dee5b8c1ece57219a0976b). This seems to include a tiny update to e5m1 but no idea what. :slight_smile:

[User added a rating.]

How can I run it? The bat file does absolutely nothing for me…I use Directq

[User added a rating.]

A really nice surprise from Machine Games. 5/5 from me just for giving us a lovely gift for Quake’s birthday.

Pietroskij – yeah, the bat file is just for winquake.

You need to launch Directq with “-game dopa +map start”. Or just with “-game dopa”, and then start a new game.

If you don’t know how to do that, just start Directq as you normally would, pull down the in-game console (using the key to the left of the “~” key) and type “game dopa”. Then start a new game.

Aaargh… what I meant to type was, pull down the in-game console using the “~” key, which is to the left of the “1” key.

Thank you very much!

… or whatever key is to the left of the “1”. Might be different if you’re using e.g. a German keyboard.

Unregistered user “Fishdope” posted:

And even the dopefish in the end! :slight_smile:

[User added a rating.]