7edef08c19aa8d45dfdef6ceabc155d9dc0c47c0d053e9962f8631b9d6dc917c

7edef08c19aa8d45dfdef6ceabc155d9dc0c47c0d053e9962f8631b9d6dc917c
overall_rating 4.473118279569892 93

Forum thread for ivory1b

[User added a rating.]

The amount of detail on this level boggles the mind, ‘amazing’ doesn’t even begin to describe it.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “LeopolD” posted:

yep, enjoyed it as well, will play it again!

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “jfh” posted:

Enjoyed this very much and will play again. Refreshing to know that there is still interest in producing quality Q1 maps. Thanks, Sock.

Unregistered user “jfh” posted:

P.S. Too short! Maybe a followup map?

[User added a rating.]

This one gets even better over time…
Sock is a machine, i´m glad
he´s putting his blessed hands
on our favorite game!!
May he never stop it…

“Your neck is like an ivory tower” Solomon 7,4

[User added a rating.]

Very beautiful – such a strong sense of place, and of exploration and discovery. And such build quality. It’s humbling.

I never figured out how to get up to the shambler-gun on the floor above the area behind the silver key door. Anyone got it?

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “User1048” posted:

Positives: Brush work, scaled well. Shows a great deal of quality. Nice rock formation. Some interesting design choices in the wall construction. Monsters well positioned. Not wasted on easily killable ones facing the wrong direction.

Negatives: Tedious game play. Very tedious. Little in the way of direction signifiers. Players would not have tolerated this in 96-02, now its called ‘non linear’. Didn’t actually finish it, and I gave it as fair a chance as I could tolerate for now.

Brush work simplified to a manneristic fault. Wood bars shouldn’t appear that block like as they do in many places. More appropriate in a Doom I or II map than a Quake one.

The wizmet texture on the interior walls needed some variation. Even simple contrast like a classic Tiddles map could have been very effective here as not to draw attention to the lack of surface variation.

Could use more of a monster challenge in normal mode to make getting lost more interesting.

Players would not have tolerated this in 96-02, now its called ‘non linear’.

I would actually say the opposite. Think of Doom or some of the glorious FPS from that time. Open, non-linear levels were not uncommon back then.

Unregistered user “User1048” posted:

Non linear is fine in levels where progression is evident, or becomes so with a little exploration. I don’t recall a single other level in the tons of Quake and Doom games I’ve played where it is possible to go nearly ten minutes wondering around with absolutely nothing to do but fiddle with buttons and ride elevators. There is one possibility that did not occur to me, the prog.dat may be broken in Dark Places. Even some vanilla quak levels wont work correctly with that engine, like BNT2 (now there is some fine ‘non-linear’ exploration). I originally attempted this in Fitzquake, don’t like using DP where it isn’t intended, but it spat out an error message related to the custom Ogre used in the pak files.

[User added a rating.]