7f05c31e8c45532a1c5cc67ccec1c239082cb03a75ab61db96de746f0d338818

7f05c31e8c45532a1c5cc67ccec1c239082cb03a75ab61db96de746f0d338818
overall_rating 4.454545454545454 44

Forum thread for retrojam3

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Be aware that the quake.rc file will override your configuration every single time you run this mod. You probably want to delete it straight away. Mappers, please don’t do this…

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “Dave” posted:

Really fun maps with a nice difficulty. Looking forward to more.

[User added a rating.]

The Shores of Zin on The Quake Grave

The first map in the pack (alpahbetically by name anyway) by FifthElephant is a really great looking retro styled map, with plenty of challenge. It starts off innocently enough with the first area and even the first horde area isn’t too difficult with a quad in hand. However, from that point on, I found the next parts of this map to be pretty tough. I barely squeaked by and as you’ll see in the video, it took many tries. Ammo was a little scarce and there was plenty of health but I seemed to burn through it very quickly. What I liked about these areas is it made me think about what I was doing and try other tactics (even if some of them are cheap! :wink: I wouldn’t normally do in Quake to get passed them. Definitely check it out!

Skacky’s map video coming up soon.

Acrophobopolis on The Quake Grave

Wow, I had a ton of fun with this map! While playing this, I couldn’t help but feel like it was automatically tuned to my skill level. It’s no secret, I’m no whiz at Quake, so when i find a level that is challenging yet provides me the opportunity to shine in certain moments, it’s a lot of fun for me.

The flow of the map is great and I love how as you’re progressing, you can just look up to see how much more map you seem to have left. There were a few shamblers and a handful of fiends in the map but with the setting and architecture there for me to duck and cover and strafe around, the fights felt fun and manageable. The enemy placement is a huge plus in the map too as when you’re fighting these fiends and shamblers and whatever else, ogres are usually lobbing grenades at you from above, adding another level of difficulty, but again it’s something I could manage and have fun with.

If I had to nit pick anything, it would probably be the final fight. Personally, I found the final fight to be a joy and a much needed stress reliever due to the fact that I had a rocket launcher with about 100 rockets. However, this was because I found a secret room with the RL in it. I feel like this final fight would’ve been terrible and too challenging for me to finish if I hadn’t found it. Again, this is nit pick, it’s not even really a slant against map as I’m sure most quake players today MUCH prefer the challenge to the use of the RL but to each their own.

Both maps in this pack are stellar and worth playing, download today and be thankful you did!

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Is there anything more tedious that nail-traps? I can’t believe that we’re still seeing them 19 years after E1M2.

Well, I finished Skacky’s map, Acrophobopolis (“City of the fear of heights”), with all 112 kills on hard, but only one of seven secrets. I guess I was unusually dense, but the one secret I did get – the rocket launcher right near the end – made the final combat a walk in the park. Very timely.

I admire the map greatly, but somehow I didn’t enjoy it a whole lot. I can’t explain that – it just somehow felt a bit lather-rinse-repeat. Amazing craftsmanship, but for me it lacked a spark. I would rate this map three stars, in isolation.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Skacky’s map is fine, but FifthElephant’s does not have enough ammo or it is hidden. Had to run away from the last two shamblers, thank god you don’t have to kill them.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]