84da35164a9f6a2bfe25ccb42aa8a3795626ced37bcdd78263b75af0a586c6bc

84da35164a9f6a2bfe25ccb42aa8a3795626ced37bcdd78263b75af0a586c6bc
overall_rating 3.894736842105263 38

Forum thread for ion01

intense! played it on skill 2
Got blown away by vents into “stuck” areas couple of times but that didn’t spoil my experience playing it. …and those fiends were scouting like alligators waiting for meat ) - nice. my secret search score is average like 4 out of 7. Solid stuff

[User added a rating.]

Great fun but felt much too cramped for handling all of the denizens of Quake. I also got stuck a few times from the pushes. I also had some bounding box issues where I can grab things or enter teleports before they were opened.

However, knowing the history behind this map it is still quite a marvel to behold…the visual style is very pleasing and it is cool to have scrags navigating through the many metal bars to reach you. Spawns are used very well as they are there to invoke panic and not just frustrate the player. This has one of the more creative uses of trigger_pushes and monster jumps that I have seen in a great while. A great use of a small space…I find Ionous does that quite well when you consider his retrojam 6 entry.

Congrats on the release!

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Der Wanderer über dem Säuremeer on The Quake Grave

I thought that Ionous’s first single release map was a great success! I will agree that it felt cramped at times, but it sort of has that haunted house feel to it because of that. What he accomplishes in such a small space was very impressive! Absolutely loved the platforming part towards the end because it was so original with the wind tunnels.

The only part that got to me was the silver key part. There was a disconnect for me because as you grab the key, a bio suit appears, suggesting it’s time to go for a swim for the next portion. I spent some time hunting under the slime to find the next leg of the map, only to find the silver key door was up near the start. Probably a bonehead move on my part, but it did confuse me (not that that is hard to do =).

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Great example of a fresh aesthetic using old textures, and an amazingly tight layout. I tried it first on skill 2 and found it absolutely brutal. I made it past the gold key door and got nearly to the end, but got caught in one of the air vents and pushed into the gang of fiends below. I almost got through without falling on my second try, but was caught in the end. I found skill 1 much more manageable, but still quite tough.

Props on the difficulty, it’s getting too often that I breeze through most of a map on skill 2. My only sort-of problem with the gameplay is the air vents. It was too easy for really wonky shit to happen with them and I even almost got stuck a couple times. I’m not sure how much if any is the mapper’s fault so much as a function of how awkward and unrealistic the physics of Quake’s push brushes are. Still, kinks aside, it presents a unique challenge and I’d rather see these ideas tried than not tried.

what to do file .lit in zip-archive - it is usefull?

.lit files contains colored lighting; you can copy it into your “maps” directory along with the .bsp.

ericw - thanx!
ericw who make binaries for render!

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

I hacked my way through to the end of this one. But although I admire it greatly, especially for its re-use of the same areas under different conditions, I can’t honestly say I enjoyed it. It all felt too cramped and arbitrary for someone who, like me, prizes exploration and discovery above other aspects of gameplay. It deserves more than two stars, because of the sheer craftsmanship; but that’s what I’m awarding because in the end I finished only out of bloody-mindedness. Sorry, Ionous!

[User added a rating.]