85c31466dda028d264b89ce54d613dfd7383306db97dc2b94f95cfce2a8cb8dc

85c31466dda028d264b89ce54d613dfd7383306db97dc2b94f95cfce2a8cb8dc
overall_rating 4.35 40

Forum thread for tofaz

Unregistered user “LCHC” posted:

I really want to try this out, but unfortunately it doesn’t work with the Quake Injector.

All other newly released maps from there work fine :frowning:

The website link is wrong.

Website link is kinda wrong. That’s my band website. Try http://alexa.partition36.com/doom/ instead.

Fixed.

[User added a rating.]

Very nice first Quake map with a nice metal style. A little dark, which had me bumping into some walls, and I completely missed the lighting gun until after the final fight–didn’t see where it was and got trapped behind a pillar by 3 shamblers (on skill 2). Very tight design for the most part but not too tough. Keep mapping!

@icantthinkofanickname

It still doesn’t work
The error message is:

Unknown model type for maps/tofaz/tofaz.bsp (‘B’ ‘S’ ‘P’ ‘2’)

So sad :((((((

@LCHC

Sorry, that was in response to YukiRaven – meaning that I fixed the website link.

I think I see what the problem is, but I don’t know how to fix it myself. I’ll alert Spirit and negke.

In the mean time, you can try installing and playing the map manually if you like:

Download the zip file, extract it and then copy or move the files “tofaz.bsp” and “tofaz.lit” into Quake[or whatever your Quake directory is called]/id1/maps. Than start the game with “+map tofaz”.
Or start the game, pull down the console and type “map tofaz” (without the quotes).

@ icanthinkofanickname

I did the manual installation and it works :slight_smile:

However the lighting is strange, some of the lights are burnt out and the map is really dark, compared to the screenshot. Also it lags slightly.

I’m running it with vanilla Quake, so maybe it’s the port that’s causing this? With DirectQ it doesn’t work at all. Do you have any suggestions for another, better(?) port?

Thanks for your response, although i have only played about 15 minutes, i’m enjoying it quite so far. Nice work :smiley:

Glad I could help out. :slight_smile:

I’m running it with vanilla Quake

Do you mean WinQuake? Yeah, in general that’s not a good idea for newer maps, since many of them exceed Quake’s original limits, so you need a newer engine. That’s what the note at the top of this page means (“This map requires a source port with increased limits”).

Do you have any suggestions for another, better(?) port?

I would definitely recommend using Quakespasm, for this and other maps. It stays true to the original aesthetic of Quake, but has drastically increased limits, so you can play the very latest maps with it. It is actively maintained and arguably the de facto standard engine for current Q1SP mapping. In fact, if you look at the readme (tofaz.txt), you’ll see that it says:

Quakespasm is the suggested port to use for this.
… I have not tested it with vanilla Quake or other engines.

[User added a rating.]

Thanks for the instructions and sorry for being such a noob ^^

Im playing it now with Quakespasm and everything works fine.

Thank you :smiley:

Happy to help and no need to apologise. :slight_smile:

Temple of Azathoth on The Quake Grave

I really enjoyed myself in this one! I know Yuki has made some Doom content in the past, but it’s hard to believe this is his first Quake map, it’s really well done! Nice work, looking forward to more.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

I enjoyed this and admired the build-quality, but I found that it all felt a bit too artificial, and the progression too arbitrary, for it to be a classic.