869ef02f0fc0a26f3d0cb06324b6453016b94d58ed3a8a5e00213c29350be59b
overall_rating 3.4375 16

Forum thread for harmsway

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

After playing The Stone of Tear, I wanted to try Duley’s other map. Yeah, this one. Well it’s a disappointment. A quite generic, despite a couple nice ideas, base map with an apparently more crude brushwork than Stone, which was released 6 months prior. Texturing could have used more work and there’s at least one mistake: a ground texture made of stone tiles with grass in between was used as a wall. Harm’s Way being a base map, don’t expect very interesting combat despite some variation with the inclusion of zombies (the “genetic experiments”). Secrets are nice, intelligently placed and not too hard to find.

[User added a rating.]

@bfg666 – I’m curious if you found all the secrets. I got two of them (a quad damage and a megahealth) and noticed a third (yellow armor on a ledge) but couldn’t figure out how to access it. No idea where the fourth one is.

Anyway, I agree with your assessment… the map layout is decent, but the textures are uninspiring and the combat is often annoying. In particular, I disliked the mix of zombies and enforcers near the end of the map. IMO they require two very different styles of combat, so putting them together makes for a frustrating battle.

[SPOILERS]
In the hallway to the gold key door, go in the second balcony, look up, shooting the button activates an elevator to the outside area. Red armor + rockets.
Continue along the path (stay on the second floor) until you can’t go further. You’re in a room with the nailgun in a corner and an opening in the wall. Jump into the opening, step on the small ledge on the other side, axe/shoot the bloody texture, take revealed teleporter. Yellow armor.

You’re welcome.

Unregistered user “JMP” posted:

Thank you!

[User added a rating.]

Very enjoyable in a low-key way, but terribly under-populated and correspondingly way too easy. It could do with literally three times as many monsters (and of course correspondingly more ammo). Otherwise it’s rather nice work.

I agree with MikeTaylor about the population, but it was nice to have an easy level for a change. Really big fan of base maps so this scratched my itch!

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Cool map, although very easy. Plausable traps. Liked the absence of armor, except in the secrets.

What I really liked is that you are rewarded if you explore the map. Found the nailgun near the end.

[User added a rating.]

Replayed this and liked it much more the second time. A fun map that’s generally easy but has a few areas with tough, hectic combat.

[User added a rating.]