b020f7e975a5d58d3bb7554a33ff032990de7378b6333cf584019d5e2247de6d

b020f7e975a5d58d3bb7554a33ff032990de7378b6333cf584019d5e2247de6d
overall_rating 4.12 50

Forum thread for 768_negke

Unregistered user “than” posted:

The thing I remember most about this map is the button that tells you not to press it. I think it’s good advice.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Just tagged this as “hard” and I’m surprised no-one had done so before. It is of course a highly subjective label (I don’t entirely agree with all the other “hard” tags on this sites), but even on skill 0, this is arguably hard in every way: tough monsters, cramped space, narrow walkways where it is easy to misstep, non-obvious progression and a middle section which, depending on which choice you make, is either really hard or really really hard.

I wholeheartedly agree with the editor’s rating: objectively speaking, this is an astoundingly good, intelligent map (I don’t just mean intelligently made; I suspect this map has developed at least a rudimentary consciousness and now it is deriving sadistic pleasure from torturing players like me). It sticks rigidly to its self-imposed limitations AND provides two alternate paths midway through. The only criticism I have is that monster selection seems to be haphazard: the different monsters you face have different, clashing visual styles and do not all match the environment. I wonder if the Quoth baddies were really necessary here.

Playing through this, however, was like reading Burroughs at his most experimental: I can’t help but be in deep awe of the work and author, but the experience itself is exhausting and not much fun (with the exception of two of the puzzles that were actually about problem-solving rather than hunting for hidden buttons, and laughing out loud at the unabashed sadism of some of the traps – which were actually for the most part better puzzles than the puzzles).

So inasmuch as the user ratings take subjective enjoyment into account, I have to give this work of diabolical genius a 3. Sorry, negke.

[User added a rating.]

Can’t blame you. I myself cringe at the gameplay in most of my older maps and would design many things differently now…

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Thanks for the map!

Some puzzles were mean, otherwise perfect, intense gameplay and vertical quake atmosphere

[User added a rating.]