bb0b14fd27e2df6d913dc477cb8acfc4f0e00d981868d5f17ffa10a51b153441
overall_rating 4.260869565217392 46

Forum thread for oms2_2

WOW, just wow.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

quite ferocious battles for me. great gameplay!

[User added a rating.]

Very beautiful and consistently inventive.

This is not a map any more… it’s a masterpiece. Almost impossible to imagine how carefully the author must have designed this insanely huge complex of caves, ruins and rivers. I especially liked how well the decay of the whole area was realized, with gates half-way sunken into lava, staircases made impassable by rubble, broken wooden bridges which require jumping over lava lakes and much more. The whole atmosphere is a creepy mix of Doom and Quake, hellish with these burning woods outside while you have a lot of huge caves flooded with lava inside. One visual highlight follows the other, and you won’t get enough until you reach the end. There, however, it gets brutally hard: Once you reach the massive ammo cache, you are in for one hell of a fight - I am not sure if it’s possible to prevail even on Easy while having to stay on this small ledge while hordes of mobs jump down on you. Anyway, for the visuals alone, this is a trip you have to experience!

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

I’m a bit surprised I only wrote five words about this the first time I played it. This is among the very top rank of maps, for its atmosphere, progression, varied combats and sheer beauty. The sequence of heart-stoppingly terrifying jumps across the ricketty wooden lava bridges will live long in my memory. If I have one criticism, it’s that the opening outdoor section, then the subterranean section and finally the main part of the game really feel like three separate levels, as there is no way to return from any of them to one of the earlier sections. A bit of a shame, but really nothing to worry about. Part 3 alone (the ruined castle) would be well worth five stars. Truly great work.

BTW., NightFright, the way I beat that final combat (on Hard) was by grenade-jumping up into the alcove as soon as I could, and picking off the bad-guys below me. It’s still tricky, but definitely doable provided you get up there quickly enough.

Unregistered user “ezze” posted:

Just played on Nightmare… And… Wow! THIS is how you do a large map! When I saw the monster count I was afraid it was another drag as many large maps. How I was wrong.

Almost no dead moments and lots of memorable battles united with incredible decaying architectures. Monster are often intelligently places so they give their best even with the stupidly limited AI they have (a part of Ogres that seldom cannot reach you with granates)… And the final battle is indeed a blast. One of the best I remember! 6/5

Suggestions if you have problems, before entering the double locked door go back the silver key place, take the yellow armor and recharge your life to 250. You will need it. Secondly, don’t use all you nails in the beginning, ensure you have about 100 nails for the last monster wave.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]