d9ac4b8cafd75b4219d0a8dde8203ad742367a1d335f89f3dd277138e722878f

d9ac4b8cafd75b4219d0a8dde8203ad742367a1d335f89f3dd277138e722878f
overall_rating 3.681818181818182 22

Forum thread for 768_pack

Unregistered user “FifthElephant” posted:

I thought Trinca’s map was best… despite the bug at the end which stops you completing the map.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

i found trinca’s to be the most difficult. i didn’t run into any bug in trinca’s map. however, using fitzquake mark V, when my levels load for the first time, the textures & lighting are ‘wack-a-doo’ until i reload the level. this seems true for any mod i’ve played. fitzquake085 doesn’t have this problem for me.

[User added a rating.]

Thoroughly enjoyed Lurker’s map, especially the insane shambler/vore finale. I’d rate it 4* on its own. I’ll rate the pack as a whole after I’ve finished the other maps.

“A well-hidden button will open this”, says Spirit’s map. But I can’t find it, and button-hunting is not a lot of fun. (My take is that this is fine for finding a secret, but not for main-line progression.)

Anyone know where it is?

MikeTaylor – encrypted with ROT-13 so as to avoid spoilers (decrypter here):

Unir n ybbx vafvqr gur plyvaqre jvgu gur gryrcbegre grkgher be jngre grkgher (vg’f orra n juvyr, fb V pna’g erzrzore juvpu) – vg’f ba gur vafvqr jnyy bs gung plyvaqre, vs V erpnyy pbeerpgyl. Gbbx zr n ybat gvzr gb svaq vg gbb.

Many thanks for this hint.

ABG DHVGR EVTUG (GUBHTU PYBFR) – VG’F BA BAR BS GUR VAARE JNYYF GUNG SNPRF GBJNEQF GUR PLYVAQRE, OHG VF ABG IVFVOYR SEBZ JVGUVA VG. LBH UNIR GB CERFF GUR OHGGBA OL QEBCCVAT QBJA BAGB VG SEBZ NOBIR, SNYYVAT ORGJRRA GUR PLYVAQRE NAQ GUR JNYY GUNG FHEEBHAQF VG.

Having now completed the level, I have to say I love it. Aside from the frustration over finding the button, I’d rank this as 4.5*

Now completed 768_rudl, too – Tower of Droles – and it’s another winner. Really tough combats, even on medium, but not unfair. You can generally figure out a way to get the advantage, and there is – just – enough ammo. That one would be another 4/5.

Might as well post my thoughts on these maps (which I wrote down when I played them a long while ago but then for some reason never posted):

Nice ideas all around, although each of the maps falls short of being truly great. Lurker’s map is probably the winner for me, although it does feature a rising platform which does not seem to give you a second chance (if you step off, you’re stuck), and the sequence with the knights on pillars made little sense (then again, I am not sure that went as intended, so perhaps it was an engine/compatibility issue). Rudl’s map is nice; Trinca’s was a bit too predictable.

All three of the above-mentioned maps are over too soon though, as progression is too fast. Spirit’s map is the most successful in this respect, as it makes progression a little more challenging and varied (and it is the map I enjoyed the most, although I think Lurker’s map is a little better). I do think that button is too well-hidden, and the final area was something of a let-down.

One thing that bothered me a lot – although it’s not directly connected with the maps themselves – is Trinca’s readme, which features a joke/implied justification of rape. Perhaps it’s a language issue (I realise English is not Trinca’s first language), but still – that sort of thing is unacceptable.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

I really liked the ending to Spirit’s level: the final room felt like a puzzle rather than the usual throw-everything-in-together horde combat.

[User added a rating.]