dc6761d96e42e5ec69a88a2b3df93fd5c01fa4986b846d77b72a64f8f936971d

dc6761d96e42e5ec69a88a2b3df93fd5c01fa4986b846d77b72a64f8f936971d
overall_rating 3.763636363636364 22

Forum thread for q1tm3

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Very good turtlemaps, specially Hrimfaxi’s, but the rest doesn’t stay far from his.

[User added a rating.]

great maps overall! i would’ve loved a quad and/or a nailgun for Lev’s base map. still, it’s amazing what mappers can achieve in a week.

Hrim’s first has so many brushes I bumped into or got stuck on. Don’t like tight maps like that. Second one I liked more, though I am not into that “realistic” style.

Lev’s was just stupid grinding or did I miss any weapon pickup?

[User added a rating.]

4/5 for Lev’s map: I thoroughly enjoyed cutting my way through the enormous swathes of base enemies, and it’s left me wondering why there aren’t more maps like this. My only reservation is that I could really have used a better weapon every now and then – say, a grenade launcher with a strictly limited number of grenades would have been fun.

Zwiffle’s map is very competent and nicely put together. I particularly enjoyed finding all five secrets. Yet somehow, in a way I can’t really define, it just wasn’t that much. Felt a bit of a grind. Only 3/5 from me, but I feel back about it.

[User added a rating.]

I enjoyed both of Hrimfaxi’s maps, though the first is very much more ambitious than the second, and has a touch of The Living End about it, but suffers a bit from Arbitrary Teleporter Syndrome. There did come a point at the end of the last when when I started to wonder whether maybe it’s possible to have too many shamblers. I’d rate these as 4/5 and 3/5 respectively, making the average for the pack 3.5/5. I’m feeling generous so I’ve rounded up rather than down.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

The only maps i really felt were fleshed out and enjoyable were Hrimfaxi’s maps - Leviathan’s map was, to put it bluntly, crap. I could not care less about grinding my way through 200+ enemies by constantly peeking in and out of cover, so after a few rooms of blandness I gave up and checked with noclip to make sure there was nothing else to the map; there wasn’t.

Zwiffle’s map was much closer to Hrimfaxi’s work at least - simpler and with less balanced combat, and uglier as well - inadequately lit at many times, which is not something I had an issue with for any of the other maps (though Lev’s map seemed to have ambient lighting cranked to near-maximum, making it almost as bad…)

Still, the pack isn’t let down by Lev’s map - I really, really enjoyed both of Hrimfaxi’s contributions and I plan to check out their other stuff in the hope it carries a similar level of quality, both in architecture and design.

Historic note: Leviathan = Ionous

Replaying these, they are all really good. Well worth revisiting.

Unregistered user “JMP” posted:

After reading the comments here, I had to play Lev/Ionous’s map to see why it inspired such mixed reactions. I thought it was pretty fun. Mostly mindless blasting, but there are some moments when the player can strategize. And the secret–or rather, what happens after the player reaches the secret–was entertainingly cruel.

[User added a rating.]