e61b81f64a8f23289a241d734280841b8cc13f2bdfec4d4854cd8303808bb80a

e61b81f64a8f23289a241d734280841b8cc13f2bdfec4d4854cd8303808bb80a
overall_rating 2.2 30

Forum thread for 1916_v2

I want to like this map because of the idea behind it but it feels executed badly gameplay wise when its just a few hallways ending with an army of grunts at the end. 1/5

[User added a rating.]

Someone had even more mixed feelings about this, judging by Recent Activity.

Unregistered user “Gug” posted:

Beyond terrible, you could knock 20 years off of that release date and I’d still be amazed at how godawful it is.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Great idea for a map, not so bad for a first level.

Aims to recreate the horrors of World War 1 but then has a crappy generic metal soundtrack that doesn’t fit?

The quality of this map is so bad it almost becomes satire. It really captures the style of those awful maps from the late 90’s and I congratulate it for that.

Made me feel nice and nostalgic for the year 1996.

1 out of 5.

Unregistered user “Dusty” posted:

It’s ok. Music fits if you know the lyrics. Zombie by the Cranberries:

Another head hangs lowly
Child is slowly taken
And the violence, caused such silence
Who are we mistaken?
But you see, it’s not me
It’s not my family
In your head, in your head, they are fighting
With their tanks, and their bombs
And their bombs, and their guns
In your head, in your head they are crying
In your head, in your head
Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie
What’s in your head, in your head
Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie, oh
Du, du, du, du
Du, du, du, du
Du, du, du, du
Du, du, du, du
Another mother’s breaking
Heart is taking over
When the violence causes silence
We must be mistaken
It’s the same old theme
Since nineteen-sixteen
In your head, in your head, they’re still fighting
With their tanks, and their bombs
And their bombs, and their guns
In your head, in your head, they are dying
In your head, in your head
Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie
What’s in your head, in your head
Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie, oh oh oh oh oh oh oh ie-ie oh

Du du du oh oh oh.

[User added a rating.]

Ah this map. It isn’t very great, and certainly feels like it was designed to be intentionally bad.

was this just clever satire of those modern military rail shooters, in which progression is just a hallway with a handful of baddies?

Maybe it is making fun of those poorly made maps in the 90’s, when the tools weren’t entirely up to snuff?

Or poking fun at the corridor shooter trope perhaps?

Either way, the map isn’t really all that great. it is dark, progression is just a tunnel, and there really isn’t any game play at all in it. there is no ammo pickups, no health, and just a slew of dull encounters leading to a questionably short ending.

The concept of a WW1 quake map isn’t a bad one, but there was certainly more that could have been done with the concept than what this map had showcased.

All things considered however, I will give this at the very least 2 out of 5. It is at the very least possible to complete it, and while dull, it doesn’t show any major technical faults that would prevent the player from finishing the map… Even if it can be done in about one minute flat…

Thanks for the feedback. This was my first try at a level, quite a learning curve getting to grips with Trenchbroom in just a few hours and all the little things that need to be set just right.

Some added gameplay will come if you try going over the barricades and then looking for a way to go ‘Over the Top’… not sure anyone has tried that yet. There are 2 ‘SECRETS’ to be attained.

I might revisit the whole trench WW1 fighting in another level. Greater realistic detailing for the trench systems, underground bunkers, breaching tunnels, shell craters, hordes of grunts programmatically going over no mans land, burnt and shelled forests of stumps, wrecked prototype tanks and aircraft, barbed wire everywhere, mine fields, hell on earth… would be nice for deathmatches too.

@Dusty

Literally every human on Earth knows Zombie by the Cranberries, even more so recently-ish after O’Riordan died RIP.

The music doesn’t fit because it’s a crappy generic metal /cover/ of a good song. That’s why it feels like something from the 90’s, it has the mishmash of tone you often saw back then. Slightly serious initial opening with the trench and raining particles combined with completely out-of-place music.

Did you watch that fan recut of Stanley Kubrick’s Paths of Glory but with DragonForce as the soundtrack?

[User added a rating.]

Jesus tough crowd here. It’s like everyone posting here woke up on the wrong side of bed or something. Here’s a hint:

You can play Quake without music!!!

[User added a rating.]

It’s part of the package, therefore it’s being judged alongside the rest.

[User added a rating.]