fba24bd9bd3c63313ac1d7a3ff664cb984f366d98f900bf45c9700b706e8b6e2

fba24bd9bd3c63313ac1d7a3ff664cb984f366d98f900bf45c9700b706e8b6e2
overall_rating 3.85 20

Forum thread for cmc

[User added a rating.]

tough combat here and there. nice size map. ammo/health plentiful. ‘SKILL 1’

possible spoiler
i suggest saving the secret quad until the gold key is used.

[User added a rating.]

Overall a very solid industrial/base map, with a fairly realistic feel to it. The curved concrete ceilings are nice, as are the massive dimensions and the buttons that clearly do something.

Some parts are a little plain and create the impression of a really talented mapper still finding their feet: this map is already streets ahead of Hatchepsout: The Hell Temple, but not yet in the same league as the superb Castle of the Dark Ages (JPL’s next release after this one). Coloured lighting is thankfully toned down/used with better judgment than in Hatchepsout…

Combat is brutally tough (especially initially, but also later on). Taking less obvious routes and sniping can make things easier, but I would still say that this borders on overly hard: Grunts and enforcers might be some of the weakest monsters, but en masse they pulverise the player pretty quickly. The final battle is ironically much easier than the rest of the map, thanks to a generously provided Quad Damage.

3 plus; recommended (to players who either have fast reflexes or do not mind dying a lot).

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Finished on hard with 216/216 kills and 3/4 secrets. This map falls into three traps that I hate: too hard early but easier later on; scenery bugs that mean you get stuck on ramps; and slooow-moving scenery (a three-storey lift in this case) that you have to wait around for.

Despite all this, I’ve awarded four stars because it’s a solid, brutal experience in an area whose geography becomes gradually apparent as you progress, and because of the perfectly judged endgame. (I finished on hour hit-points.) This feels like the work of someone who still had a long way to go on his technical skills, but who already had a great feel for actual gameplay – which is the right way round to be.

So my trawl through JPL history is going well, and if Icantthinkofanickname’s comment is to be trusted, about to get even better as I move on to Castle of The Dark Ages.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Better than I remembered. Is there a term for the strictly symmetric monster placement? =)

Replayed this, and loved it. The simple brutality of especially the opening stages has a very Doom-like feel. In retrospect, I consider this the best of JPL’s maps. Later ones look much better, but none of them play as well as this.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Overall real nice map. Was a good challenge overall.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “ARtemi” posted:

I played it with Malice and it works excellent with this add-on, as it has a bit similar color palette. Btw, it would be nice to see some levels for this sadly, and undeservedly forgotten TC, which is my favorite.

[User added a rating.]