There’s a new player in the Quake engine field - Xash3D by Uncle Mike. It was initially developed to be compatible with GoldSrc (Half-Life engine), using Quake, QuakeWorld and Quake II’s source code as a base. It was refined for years and currently Xash3D is compatible with almost all of the mods for Half-Life. There’s even a number of HL mods developed exclusively for Xash3D.
Since GoldSrc and the Quake engine have a lot of common features, Xash3D became able to fully support Quake itself in 2018. It doesn’t change the gameplay and is compatible with modern PC’s and operating systems. Quake’s resources are supported by Xash3D on core level, and QWrap is only a third-party mediator between Quake’s virtual machine and Xash3D. Most of QWrap’s code is a data interface unit, the virtual machine’s wrapper, hence the name of the project.
Currently QWrap fully supports Quake demos’ playback, including The Seal of Nehahra, for which a “remote control” feature was implemented. Most of the Quake mods not developed exclusively under specific unofficial engines are compatible as well (including Arcane Dimensions). In the future Hexen II may be supported.
There are also some unique potential capabilities, which are not implemented yet, but it’s not too hard for Uncle Mike to add them if there’s a bigger interest for the project from the Quake community. The following potential features are exclusive for QWrap and aren’t currently present in any of the existing forks:
- QWrap doesn’t affect the engine, so you always have a stable core on any level of development.
- Models with skeletal animation and weight distribution.
- Powerful network engine with prediction and unlag system, with capability to download missing files.
- Smooth changelevel and capability to return on previous maps.
- Save/restore for decals, sounds, music.
- Enhanced sound engine with DSP effects.
- Possibility to hook advanced physics or a new renderer through QWrap, even from your favorite Quake fork, if you prefer to use it.
- Vertex lighting for static alias-models (Quake models).
Download QWrap here: https://www.moddb.com/games/quake-wrapper
Please report any bugreports or suggestions on the ModDB page.