overall_rating 3.521739130434783 23

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “Cheshire” posted:

It has been many many years since I made this map let alone played it. I’m so happy that it found a small audience and you enjoyed it and my deathmatch maps.

Sorry to hear it is considered so difficult. I could playtest my deathmatch maps with bots and refine the design. Single player maps didn’t have that, so I remember it being a lot harder to develop an objectively challenging single player experience.

Thanks for your time playing it :slight_smile:

[User added a rating.]

Ok just played it again. Yep it’s not very forgiving. I had totally forgotten about the Shambler.

I remember trying to create a map that would cause the player to edge along slowly being fearful of every turn. Looking at it now, I didn’t quite achieve that - but hey, I was a kid at the time who lived and breathed Quake.

Yes, there are some sudden death traps. But they are both marked by the same trap button. Jump over them to get the weapons.

You can use the line of sight to your advantage to peck away at enemies. In the room with the knights and grenade ogres above, simply run past and drop down into the zombie pit. (I really should have marked that clearer with some arrows).

When you start spawn, jump behind the boxes for some blue armor - that will help. Forgive me for the cringeworthy second secret. I was a dumb 16/17 year old kid when I made this, and never imagined talking about it when I was 40 :slight_smile:

@Cheshire

It’s good to see a classic mapper comment! I really enjoyed your map, death traps and all, and it’s impressive that you made it as a teenager.

You’ve probably seen them, but a few people have posted playthroughs on youtube. E.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjIc-9MSYFA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gIOnO_askc

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Hi @JMP - No I didn’t know about them at all! They were fun to watch. Thank you so much for sharing.

Quake holds such a special place in my memories, so it’s great to see that a strong community of players supporting custom maps continues all this time later. And man, some of these more recent maps are mind-blowing to see what the next generation of map makers have managed to do.

As a side note, I’m sure I still have my signed copy of “Quake II Netpack I Extremities” in a box somewhere. It had signatures of the 1998 crew at iD Software in gold pen on the cover. I was lucky enough to get it because one of my maps was included Rocket Arena.

So there’s at least one very cool memento from around that era I get to keep.