160c621d6eddff3e63b75e806403ad54bacca22c95738bb727c33613e4dbab98

160c621d6eddff3e63b75e806403ad54bacca22c95738bb727c33613e4dbab98
overall_rating 3.333333333333333 19

Forum thread for pb1

[User added a rating.]

Mixed feelings, some parts were nice, but overall I would probably not play it again.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Nothing bad and nothing special either, considering the year, which is quite a lot. I probably wouldn’t play it again but there is nothing bad to stop someone to try it out.

To highlight, the sometimes non linear layout and some interesting gimmicks.

What got me curious is that pb2 sends to this map, even though this is the first map of this author and that this one provides all weapons and ammo necessary for killing everything.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Found it fairly bland–the texturing is very plain, and the combat is simple and free of surprises. There are a few places in which the layout and architecture feel off-kilter, but they never come together to create a truly surreal environment. The room shown in the screenshot is probably the best part of the map.

[User added a rating.]

The scale of rooms in this map is larger than usual, which was something that I noticed. It’s actually quite apparent right from the get-go with the massive structure in front of you, balconies rising high into the sky. It’s quite an impressive sight, actually!

A couple of unmarked secrets on offer in addition to the two marked ones. It’s a little bit funny how one can quite easily miss the “boss” fight in the map.

Some atypical texturing at times, like these decorative Quake logos, which players would normally try to press or shoot. Not a big minus, though.

I also liked the hint of realism with the feast hall and the “street” lights outside.

I’d be tempted to rate this 4/5, but it feels maybe just a bit too rough around the edges, so at the time of writing this I think I feel like rating it 3/5.

[User added a rating.]

Replayed this and enjoyed it more the 2nd time. The map has an interesting progression in which the player first has to work his up through a large fortress-like building and then back down. The plainness of the textures was probably a necessity given the limitations of late-90s technology–it would have been hard to design a map with both lots of large areas and lots of detail and make it run on computers of that era. I still find the atmosphere somewhat lacking–the map has lots of quirks that never really coalesce into a truly weird environment --but nonetheless it’s worth playing if you enjoy old-school maps.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]