31d7d0a692bae955d28578cfdcb1fd4d51cdf9b892bcaed0eddb1e8969b3e52d

31d7d0a692bae955d28578cfdcb1fd4d51cdf9b892bcaed0eddb1e8969b3e52d
overall_rating 3.903225806451613 31

Unregistered user “ericw” posted:

anon, make sure you entered “sv_protocol 999” in the console with my Quakespasm-oms3 build. If you teleported into the void partway through oms3_2, that is the problem. Sorry, I should have enabled that setting by default for this engine build :-/

Unregistered user “ericw” posted:

Damn markdown, that should read sv_protocol 999

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “anon” posted:

Woah, that fixed it right up!!
thanks!

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Honestly I got more of a Lovecraft vibe from these maps than a Giger one, outside of a few textures. While I grew up with both Quake and Lovecraft, I never felt that Quake’s worlds were really all that like how I imagined Lovecraft’s alien worlds when I read his stories. This map is the closest I’ve seen to one that actually captures my mental image.

The combat is really tight. The second map was my favorite. Many areas give room to maneuver by jumping between walkways and platforms, but there’s always the risk of falling (which isn’t always deadly). Since there’s usually very little room to run about I imagine the combat won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I found it fresh, pretty tough but well-judged (on skill 2). The sense of progression is pretty impressive throughout. I loved thr fight back through the raised platforms after getting the silver key, and the descent underground was incredible. Unfortunately the maps suffer from a few bad cases of wonky geometry but it’s not enough for me to lower my rating when the theme is so special.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

The latest official version of Quakespasm (0.92.0 – which was released today) supports both of these maps.

Played on hard difficulty, it is brutally hard, and the maps are chaotic already both in gameplay and in theme. The areas are pretty wide and open,seeming empty first before a huge bunch of enemies teleport on your ass. The theme is really unique and changing, sometimes horrific, sometimes weird.
Play it for a very unconvential and unique experience.

[User added a rating.]

I hereby confirm that this works with the latest build of QuakeSpasm (0.92.0 x64) from beginning to the end. Be sure to switch to protocol 999 by typing sv_protocol 999 in the console though - otherwise the second map glitches in the second half. As a side note, I played up until that point in protocol 666, when it glitched, switched to 999 and reloaded a quicksave: worked without a problem after that. So, no worries if you forget to switch it to 999 before starting your playthrough.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “NoNameUser” posted:

oms3 seems to be all about fighting spawning waves of enemies whenever you move forward, push a switch or do something as ordinary as grabbing a health pack. If you’re happy with that, then this is for you, but I’ll pass.

Unregistered user “komagame” posted:

wow, very imaginative and fanciful !

No idea why I initially gave this a 3. The ambition in this map is astounding. Extremely original and the surprise after hitting all buttons really “rises” to the occasion. That moment is seriously one of the most memorable I have had in my custom quake map adventures.

The 5 star rating eludes these maps due to somewhat frustrating monster placement and geometry/player relationship issues. Still, absolutely recommend a play through to experience the world ORL has constructed here.