31d7d0a692bae955d28578cfdcb1fd4d51cdf9b892bcaed0eddb1e8969b3e52d

31d7d0a692bae955d28578cfdcb1fd4d51cdf9b892bcaed0eddb1e8969b3e52d
overall_rating 3.903225806451613 31

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

These maps tank my performance, even on a modern system. Even with no FSAA or anything it still produces some input lag, which affects my aim. Quake’s BSP format isn’t suited for very large open areas. If you can see pretty much the whole map at once, it can not be optimized, since Quake has no level-of-detail and/or distant terrain system. So all it can do is just render everything at once, as is. So personally I don’t really see much point in making the “spacious for the same of being spacious” Quake maps, but that’s Orl for you.

Anyway, with that out of the way, skill 1 (normal) is strangely not available, so I played on skill 0. Managed to beat the maps on my first try, although some traps were really nasty and left me with little health. In particular, in the fist map there’s a situation where you’re riding a caged elevator down and suddenly there’s an ogre lobbing grenades inside your ride. Left me with 6 health, god damn it.

The brushwork mostly consists of small platforms and slippery catwalks, where you have to awkwardly strafe and try to dodge the enemy attacks. Got stuck on some scenery a couple of times, but still managed to persevere, since at least on skill 0 the resources are plentiful, I even left a couple of armors and a QD behind. Just don’t fall to your death or catch too many grenades, I guess.

Still, just like with Ter Shibboleth I wouldn’t really recommend these maps, the gameplay is not very fun, the whole thing is more of an experiment in pushing the Quake engine to its limits and making it do what it isn’t supposed to.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Finally made a serious attempt at these maps, having got lost in one of them back in the day and lost interest. This time, I persevered through what was often tedious hard work till I reached (what I assume is) the climax, with the Shub hanging from the ceiling and all the bouncing vores and shamblers. Screw that. Even with god-mode and notarget, I couldn’t survive long enough to figure out what to do. In the end up I threw up my hands and walked away. “This is meant to be fun”, I reminded myself, and went off to replay some of the AD maps.

As a tech demo, this is pretty good. But as a gaming experience, I found it almost no fun at all. Strange, since ORL’s Conflagrant Rodent is one of my very favourite maps.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Damn! I really cannot praise the level design and the general look of this highly enough.
As commented by Bloughsburgh, the part that “rises” to the occasion is magnificent. Definitely a Wow! moment.

But…

The combat. I just didn’t like it… i mean, at all.
Up until the final part it’s like 90% spawn ambush, which in a map this long gets very old, very quickly.

I was going to rate it a 3, but the design and look is so good I bumped it to 4. With decent combat/monster placement, it would’ve been a 5.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Does anyone know how to survive the final encounter with all those bouncing shamblers and vores?

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]