5d3c46d81f79d079ec6bde27aeb2b0f0dc5412dd64735e831c530c57eaa65b66

5d3c46d81f79d079ec6bde27aeb2b0f0dc5412dd64735e831c530c57eaa65b66
overall_rating 4.39344262295082 61

The Pack is a perfect 10 for me. And the Temple was a new definition of EPIC. Thank you so much.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Amazing maps pack. All maps were good. Perhaps 3 stand out. Ionous’es for being extremely gloomy tru dark bloody fantasy - really loved atmosphere. Tronyn’s - well obviously it’s gigantic map & quite fun to play - I didn’t like crowds, to me it’s lazy mapping - but in general map was gorgeous; Heretical jorney. And finally mfx. Damn! That’s one of the best maps I ever played and it’s 2022 now. It felt like invert, corrupted twin to his AD Realm of Enceladus. Same flying stones with chains (I realize AD chains and rocks were added later). But this time it’s bloody hell. Really cool rocks/caves - and I know it’s pain in the a$$ to make 'em in TB. All in all from now on it’s one of my all time favs. I wish it could end up in AD pack with AD expanded mobs pantheon, because to me it’s like a twin to Enceladus. THANKS to all. I like all maps and played them all with 80-100% of secrets

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “overlord” posted:

I have to take back some of my previous comment, which was made under a less than ideal mental state. At the time, I only finished Tronyn’s map actually, and expecting the rest of the maps to be the same, I did not even give them a chance (pretty dumb). I was also just fresh of being tortured by Soul of Evil 2, which is by far the most difficult Quake thing there is. Yes, Tronyn’s map is still complete bullshit, I don’t care, but after playing the rest of them, they are ok.

I also still don’t believe the quality of quake mapping went up over time as most others would say, maybe when compared to the nineties only.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

I replayed The Crimson Slipway (jam3_daz) and found it deeply satisfying, if maybe a little on the easy side. DIstinctively revolting architecture, and satisfyingly strategic combats. Some of the hordes could have been about twice as populous, though.

I replayed Bunker of Tears (jam3_ericw), a pleasingly bizarre semi-coagula map set in and around a space station infested with zombies, gibs and monsters. Satisfying to play, and with a most enjoyable (and easy to get) quad secret for the final battle. Does what it sets out to do extremely competently.

I replayed Hemophilic Clot (jam6_ionous) and enjoyed how well it reconciled tight design with sheer atmosphere — dark, bloody and claustrophobic, despite the floating-in-space setting. Nice escalation to more powerful enemies towards the end, too. Quality.

I replayed Dolor Non Color (jam3_mfx). What a great experience. It’s just as atmospheric as I remember, and this time I had no trouble with doors opening when they weren’t supposed to and suchlike. My only real complaint is the slightly anticlimactic ending: there’s nothing beyond the Rune Door but a final monster, leaving me with only 154 of the 169 kills (and 5 of the 10 secrets). This one has really stood the test of time.

I replayed Ways to the Grave and found it all a bit disjointed. Racing through the zombie horde with the chainsaw was a fun challenge, and it was satisfying to finish that part of the map with only 4 health, but the final part felt too random to be a satisfactory conclusion.