5fbb5cae02a3616932c61f17351f886d345039822ff75e0f4a14d506ba48eb16

5fbb5cae02a3616932c61f17351f886d345039822ff75e0f4a14d506ba48eb16
overall_rating 3.439775910364146 51

[User added a rating.]

I decided to use the original version for my first playthrough. This update seems to go beyond what’s to be expected from a bugfix release, and not always in a good way.

Relit maps may seem like a nice idea (extra effort!) until you compare the very first rooms of the two releases:

http://i.imgur.com/hEOOCH5.png
http://i.imgur.com/XhQLUXT.png

I was aware of the author’s belief that overbright lighting is evil, but I didn’t know he thinks the same about deep shadows. Not sure if there are other changes, but this one was already more than enough for me.

I don’t know if there was access to sources of everything, but maps receiving changes like that and “extensively patched progs” (once again, the updates are pretty arbitrary, but at least they shouldn’t make anything worse) seem to indicate that there was. Still not sure, but if there was, then there are also things that could’ve been improved, but weren’t. Impulse 12 is still absent, and there are some serious cases of Z-fighting in the maps.

Oh, and the skins. The new external skins are just resized and sharpened old skins with compression artifacts. Delete or relocate pak4.pak if you don’t like such enhancements, or are playing with nearest neighbor texture filtering (some clients won’t require this).

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Not too shabby, and it ended quicker than I had hoped. While the maps were fun to go through and everything, apparent laziness regarding poor implementation of overbright lighting leaves them feeling a little more drab, and preventing them from reaching their full aesthetic potential.

The new monsters were a case of hit or miss. The bats are more annoying than even the Scrags, and beefier as well. The electric Enforcers will demand your respect as they prove themselves to be intimidating in close range, and a menace in distanced combat. The big robots are misfits whose overall low threat level is disproportionate to their unusually large HP pools - rockets provide the most efficient way to tackle them considering their drop.

As for the weapons, the Napalm Launcher felt right at home as its secondary effects provide a great alternative to the GL’s own dynamic prowess.

The Impaler is a more subtle type of rocket weapon that can demolish lower tier monsters, and can be used to rapidly drain the HP of tougher beasts while you wait in safety until they can OHKO’d. Its recoil can serve a tactical purpose, particularly when 1 on 1 with a Fiend.

As for the two new cell-fueled weapons, the LG-2 felt quite inferior to the original LG, with a rather inefficient ammo/damage ratio. If you miss this weapon when it first appears in the earlier levels (like I did), you’ll eventually run into some pretty bad ammo shortages. The AMLS’s nature is reminiscent of the Unmaker in D64, serving as the laser weapon that becomes overpowered through upgrades, and is quite fun to use, making up for the LG-2’s glaring imperfections.

In the end, this mapset is still paralleled and exceeded by SoA and DoE, for it lacks the proper polish and refinement that made those two feel so cohesive and professional. Regardless, the level design and extra assets make for a fresh enough experience that it’s worth going through at least once.

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “A random fragger” posted:

Greetings,
Where is the soundtrack please?

[User added a rating.]

It’s great to have a whole mission pack for free, and eleven levels are not to be sniffed at. And yet … I can’t get excited about this one. I replayed Armagon recently, and found it distinctly underwhelming by modern standards, but this is well below Armagon’s level. The new monsters – including both bosses – are pretty awful. The layouts are incoherent and artificial. Most of the new weapons are close to useless (though the fire grenades are kind of fun). There’s a new power-up but it doesn’t seem to do anything.

If I’d got this in 1998, I’d have been delighted. But in 2018, I am afraid there’s no reason to play it. I won’t be returning.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]