7b4139e07645066725f35b5918d4b810699a3012345479f8aaa64d622c7451f6

7b4139e07645066725f35b5918d4b810699a3012345479f8aaa64d622c7451f6
overall_rating 2.804166666666667 16

Forum thread for earth

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

A small but quite pleasant map with contrasting visuals: on one hand there are these nice, round arches but on the other hand, surfaces are very undetailed and there are some oddities like these diagonally cut wooden pillars seen in the picture. Gameplay-wise, progression is linear and combat is nothing special and very easy on skill 2.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

This plays smoothly and doesn’t have any glaring flaws, but there are many small things that detract from the experience: the textures are very plain, combat is easy and some monsters are poorly placed, and ammo is unbalanced (it’s almost all nails).

As with many first-time maps from the 90s, there are flashes of real creativity, suggesting that the author could have gone on to create bigger and better maps. But by itself it’s underwhelming.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

The author states in the readme that he wanted to keep the theme medieval, which affected the available monsters and weapons. Unfortunately it made the gameplay a bit too simple at times, especially when you could just easily overwhelm the monsters with the super nailgun. Maybe the weapon could have been hidden in a tough secret (of which there aren’t any) as a reward.

I’d say the architecture is really good for the time. The corridors are probably the simplest areas but even they have pretty interesting ceiling geometry. I really like how the author sticks to the earth texture theme, which gives the map a unique and consistent feel. If only the gameplay element were a bit more involved, I’d rate the map higher.

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “pmk” posted:

I enjoyed playing through this early 1997 quake map even through its a short map I enjoyed the fact that the author stayed to the earth theme within this map. It made the map interesting and unique to play through compared to other quake maps from this early modding period. I would give this map a three out of five rating and would recommend this for a quick custom quake play through experience.

[User added a rating.]

My earlier comment was unfair. Replaying this, I’d say it’s pretty good for a February 1997 release. While one can nitpick various things about the map (and I did), the architecture is consistent and creates a nice underground setting. Combat is on the easy side.

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “Andy” posted:

I can’t tell you all how pleasing it is to see my work is still being played 20 years later.

[This comment had to be restored. See this thread for context. This means that there might be problems with its formatting or content missing. The information if the user posted while being logged in was not restored. -Spirit]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]