7dcb596bef673ee369a1043cdec0a9f4d0deaa0525a83ff2f96eab88b900212d

7dcb596bef673ee369a1043cdec0a9f4d0deaa0525a83ff2f96eab88b900212d
overall_rating 1.609090909090909 11

Forum thread for drastic

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Unfortunately there’s not a whole lot of good to say about this map, so let’s first list the bad:

• Cramped

It’s easy to get stuck in the geometry and especially the wind tunnels are really bad. Well, at least the enemies have it just as bad, getting stuck in geometry and such.

• Cheap traps

I got stuck in a few water pools, from which I was unable to climb back up. The author could have at least instakilled me if he decided to make trap pools. :confused: Speaking of instakills, don’t even think about falling down from the waterfall in any other way than how the author had intended, because you could very well end up perishing suddenly.

• Obnoxious sounds

A couple of the new monsters, the manga babe and the blarg, have really obnoxious sounds that get old very fast. There are a lot of blargs on this map, too, so it will be quite a while until you manage to silence them and bring peace and quiet to the map.

• Frustrating puzzles

The map tells you to look for a smiling face somewhere in the map, which pretty much requires playing hide-and-seek with stubborn searching for a shootable button in an arbitrary place in the map, which, in addition, is hidden in darkness. Have “fun” trying to find that button.

The last “puzzle” is also completely uncalled for, requiring you to go through three teleporters before the exit opens. After each teleportation, you’re sent back to the other side of the room, where you’ll drop into one of the pools I was unable to climb back up from. So you’ll have to time your teleportation just right to land on top of the platform on the other side.

I’d say the only good thing about the map is the looks of the waterfall room. The addition of rain and thunder really bring an outdoor feel to the map. Even though in the long run the blarg idle sound is super annoying, in the beginning the constant cacophony of noise around you kind of makes you feel like you’re in this lush rainforest environment full of wildlife sounds. Also, having no prior experience on the blarg monster, I felt kind of unnerved by the unknown monster. I’m having a hard time recommending this map based on those merits, though. Whatever charm or pros the map may have, they’re overwhelmingly outweighed by the bad, which make this map just a frustrating experience not worth your time.

Yeah, but it does have karate kicking, grenade launching, sexy manga babes. And somehow that makes me smile.

And yes, that ambient sound for the blarg thing-a-mijig is ridiculous. I think it could have been fixed if the blarg ambient sound was the blarg agroed sound.

The babes would probably put a smile on my face too, if only they didn’t have a a ridiculous idle sound, as well. :confused: And no, they’re not cute enough for me not to get angry with them. xD

Thankfully the sounds are incredibly easy to replace with something better on this mod, seeing as it isn’t even packed in a pak file. So, if anyone wants to try out this map, I’d recommend doing yourselves a favour by replacing the files kungfu.wav, BIDLE.WAV and BIDLE2.WAV with something less obnoxious.

[User added a rating.]

Truly awful. It takes a lot for me to not bother finishing a map, but this was just wretched from start to … the bit where I gave up. A rare example of a Quake that does literally everything wrong. If i could award zero stars, I would.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

It has a bunch of custom enemies which, honestly, are not very fun to play with.
The map itself is ugly and confusing. Can’t recommend.

Link to Nightmare 100% walkthtough: https://youtu.be/tqmiuwRPc1E