9945d6cc68c6de416e857a4cff09df4dbd3cbe9c20c690bc4fe24c9970318512

9945d6cc68c6de416e857a4cff09df4dbd3cbe9c20c690bc4fe24c9970318512
overall_rating 3.885925925925926 27

Forum thread for alk05

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Nice base map with rusty metal look. Maybe the knights don’t completely fit in (usually it’s about grunts and enforcers), but I guess it would have been too easy. Good stuff and well worth 20-30 minutes of your time.

[User added a rating.]

1 Like

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

This map made me wish that Base had better melee monsters than the… dog, i guess. Despite the thematic issues, this was a fun map. A lot of back and forth collecting keys and pushing buttons to unlock new areas, but I never felt particularly bored and an effort was made to repopulate previously-travelled areas to keep the map fresh.

After a few tries, I finally cracked the final fight. I came into it relatively well stocked in ammo, although I only had four rockets. I used those to help dispatch the Fiends, as their tendency to bunch up favours the splash damage, and used the LG to deal with the Snakemen. By taking them out quickly I was left with enough health to tank one of the shamblers and clear the pillar as cover against the second. Still, even with my mostly-stacked loadout the final combat was quite difficult and took a few reloads…
I can only imagine it exists in its final form because the mapper would probably be finishing in a similarly efficient manner.

[User added a rating.]

An undiscovered gem, with satisfying progression and good, solid combats that you’re always well equipped for. I thouroughly enjoyed this. It doesn’t quite have that sprinkle-of-stardust that sets five-star maps apart, but I rate it a very solid for stars, even sixteen years after its release.

(The description says this is “Fourth in the Mel Soaring series”. I’d have liked to see the first three, but the README explains that they are Q2 and Half Life maps.)

Whatever happened to alk06? alk07 is in the Quaddicted database (along with alk08, alk10, alk11, alk12, alk13 and alk15) but it seems to be absent (along with alk09 and alk14). Maybe they’re also Q2 maps?

To answer my own question … the README for alk07 says:

Mel Soaring series:
Apr 00 - Mel Soaring 5: Ancient Rigby (Q2SP, Alk06)
Feb 00 - Mel Soaring 4: The Savage Sanguine (Q1SP, Alk05)
Dec 99 - Mel Soaring 3: Tomb of the Makron God (Q2SP, Alk04)
Oct 99 - Mel Soaring 2: Star Rancor (HLSP, Alk03)
Sep 99 - Mel Soaring 1: Hear Me Roar (Q2SP, Alk02)

So alk06 is indeed a Quake II map – and no doubt the same is also true of alk09 and alk14.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]