A weekend of Quaddicted future?

Since the Quaddicted map system is old and broken, new releases never get added and I have too much control on the site:

How about we find a weekend some time this year to focus on the shortcomings of the site and grand visions plans for the future? I have lots of ideas how a vastly different system could ensure that new releases are available in an instant, automated tools can become way more powerful, etc.

But alone it is not much fun to work this step by step.

Who would be up for some focused collaboration?

I’d be up for this.

I don’t think such a grand plan is necessary. To me, Quaddicted is 97% of what I want from a Quake site, and the missing 3% is just timely addition of new maps. I think you could just appoint three or four trusted lieutenants and given them the necessary privileges to do this, and we’d be fine.

The issue with adding the new maps on time is that people want free filenames and the possibility to release multiple versions of something using the same filename(s). The current system does not support that.

shamblernaut: Yay!

Spirit I can not actually help with code or anything but I am good at outreach IMO. What kind of skills should interested parties have. Python development I assume. What other disciplines would be helpful for this brainstorming?

Oh but you can!

It should be more about data structures and organisation, tagging and other things that require knowledge of how and what kinds of things are released in the Quake (or general modding) scene and imagination how to put those into “rules”/models.

Python and all that comes later, once we have the concept right, the rest should be fun.

I can help too. I am in a bit of a mess in my life now; but i have some time to spare.

ideas:

one thing that can be done is making a package manager, each map or mappack has multiple versions. The old versions remain hosted. And the versions are generated internally if necesary.

the problem is expecting or enforcing rules on the releases…

otherwise we will need a more complex script to handle different things, or someone manually checking the packages.
or make a testing thing, that checks if a package is malformed, handling automatically the other ones, and making scripts/rules for whatever comes up. or, maybe, giving the rules and tools for the mappers so they do it manually themselves.

Long long time corporate boring stuff developer here, Java developer for more than 15 years now. Would like to help with “data structures and organization” or anything else. It would be nice to have someone more experienced in portals and content management in this discussion. Do we have someone?

I am willing to help with this. For my job I do a lot of work in Python, R and SQL (mostly analysis, but also data transformation etc.). I have no experience with web development, but am interested to learn. I have limited time available (job, 3 small children, etc) but can review and comment on proposals, do some coding where needed and can work on documentation. My main motivation is the importance of an archive like Quaddicted for future popular culture historians (I am one by training :slight_smile:

My current line of thought for the near future is to have a submission script running which can check the validity of incoming submissions, do some minor metadata transformation if needed / possible and submits the package to the archive maintainers. Submissions with too many packaging errors are rejected and a helpful rejection message is returned.

Such a script could tide the archive over until a more robust solution is available.

Would this sunday work for people? I’d set us up a zulip instance to chat and share the logs afterwards (if not keep it online).

That’s a busy day personally, so it’s a maybe.

i can this sunday.

I’ll try to set it up early tomorrow and dump my thoughts and ideas out. Then we have ample time for asynchronous discussion :slight_smile:

Hi. I’m relatively new to Quake community (several months), learning mapping and going to learn QuakeC too.
I have experience in web development and some experience with C++ with Qt framework.
Also, I have little obsession with archiving/saving information and I’m very interested in making map archive for Quake maps better. Not sure if my programmer’s knowledge will be useful, but I’m willing to help with what I can, at least with ideas.
I had a thought to slowly build some enhanced version of Quake Injector myself but realized that my ideas quickly became too ambitious for my skill in software development. And I think people need updated Quake Injector (or at least similar tool), not some grandiose steam-like app. So, it will be much better if that will be “official” tool, made by people with greater programming experience, than me.
Maybe I’ll do my ambitious tool someday anyway. Having alternatives is good.
Anyway, I’d like to share some of my ideas, that may fit Quake Injector and to join this discussion, if you don’t mind.

Oh poop, I forgot an important appointment today so I won’t be online much.

I did set up https://chat.quaddicted.com and here is what I posted so far:

ok i don’t know how to login in that zulip webapp

seems solid. i see that currently you have 128bit hashes in the download metadata, between parens.
i would go directly with two chars, that will give 255 folders, that’s what git repositories use.

about the json file, most implementations take only the last entry of duplicated keys. Luckily the json format is not complex.
also we will need validators and other things

the good thing about the json is that anyone that can map can write a json and understand the rules pretty quickly.

about the metadata and filecontents i’m thinking two things:
a) guidelines
b) code to handle the most commons cases
i’m guessing that everything that is already in the archives are well formated and with valid metadata, so the guidelines/code are for new releases

for example, some people put a map file and gfx in the root of the zip file, and in the instructions explain where they go.

They can be community managed, if they’re in a github repo. for all purposes, well formed zip files are preferable to instructions to rename and move files.

Sorry, I accidentally left it invite-only (the default). Total fail on my end… It’s open now. There is also a desktop client: https://github.com/zulip/zulip-electron

Maxi, welcome! I am sure you can contribute in many ways, even if they are just comments here and there. Hell, I learned PHP and SQL when building this site originally and it still works (debatebly well :wink: ).

Great idea to follow git there, thanks! The 128bit hashes are md5, those are only good for validation of downloads, not as identifiers and someone could just hack a matching one to be funny.

I use Python and thus would treat these as dictionaries, duplicate keys definitely should not be there. Instead we will need to use lists for those things that might be multiplicities(?).

yeeee, human-editable is a major benefit. Validator (and some tool to help authors to create these files themselves) would come once we fixed a first version of the format.

[quote=topher]
i’m guessing that everything that is already in the archives are well formated and with valid metadata, so the guidelines/code are for new releases[/quote]
It depends :} But I would use the existing db to generate such json files as a start. Generally I would want them to exist for any Quake file imaginable, retroactively created by the community. All the mods, engines, whatnot. The tagging system should be able to handle this (I like https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features a lot).

[quote=topher]
for example, some people put a map file and gfx in the root of the zip file, and in the instructions explain where they go.

They can be community managed, if they’re in a github repo. for all purposes, well formed zip files are preferable to instructions to rename and move files.[/quote]
People will release files in any way they like and there is no central instance (like idgames) to force anything. People release badly packaged maps to this day. Thus this idea of being able to supplement their files with metadata. One important key would be unpacking/installation instructions.

Thanks for your awesome input!

Hi Spirit, I wasn’t able to sign up at https://chat.quaddicted.com/
I clicked sign up, entered my email address and got: