Alkaline 1.1: the Thanksgiving update :)

Thanks! But I guess no one in the team have ever said that.
Even though AD did set the bar a lot higher for other mods, we just strive to make the best experience possible within our our own limitations, not to get an “Alkaline is better than mod XYZ” type of response. This isn’t a competition after all.
The only thing said remotely close to that was that Alkaline is the “ultimate base mod until something better comes along”. But that’s because, other than Rubicon2 and RRP - which Alkaline was even built upon -, there are no other base-focused mods around.

Thanks! But I guess no one in the team have ever said that.
Even though AD did set the bar a lot higher for other mods, we just strive to make the best experience possible within our our own limitations, not to get an “Alkaline is better than mod XYZ” type of response. This isn’t a competition after all.
The only thing said remotely close to that was that Alkaline is the “ultimate base mod until something better comes along”. But that’s because, other than Rubicon2 and RRP - which Alkaline was even built upon -, there are no other base-focused mods around.[/quote]
Yes, you are right, my bad. I must have misunderstood something.

I wish you become the best industrial mod around for ‘Quake’, then!

[quote=Andrew]People! There is no need to bicker over punctuation marks, because they are put differently in different languages! In Russian, for example, there are several times more of them than in English! And by doing Google translation for speed with the help of a translator, I then delete a lot of punctuation marks. )))

About the hell knight - I just didn’t find it in the files of version 1.1 at all. No model, no skin. Your ogre has the most original model and is not geometrically improved at all.

And criticism is criticism. Either the developers accept it or you just shouldn’t see it and should forbid writing anything in your topic. I accept criticism and try to correct my mistakes and shortcomings. No offense, please.

Why such a review? Because in version 1.1, apart from the improved shambler texture, the old model of a soldier with a new weapon and blood skins, I didn’t see anything new. Both AD and Q2021 have already been released with new improved models, and you are all using the very first low-poly models. People are already used to them. I’ve been asking you to accept these changes for a long time, but you don’t hear me.[/quote]

Again, as I said, we didn’t want inconsistent visuals and detail levels across models in the pack. That was deliberate. We have some monsters ported from older mods and their models were kept. For example, in previous releases, Alkaline shipped with very high detail models for the Grunt and Enforcer, but they clashed heavily in style with other monsters based their original models, like the Nail Grunt, Dreadnought, Mega Enforcer, etc. Even then, there various improvements in the models, like massively reworked skins, small geometry issues corrected, and improved UVs - plus multiple pain skins for almost all non-robotic monsters. That in itself was already quite a bit of work, about a dozen or more monsters got that treatment.
And about the rerelease models, they’re somewhat a mixed bag. They aren’t unanimously better. They can be higher poly, yeah, but some ended up looking like fat blobs. Plus, even if we converted the best ones to standard MDLs to ship them in the mod we’d again fall into the issue stated above.

And we do accept criticism. In fact, various changes and corrections happened due to that. But what it seems is that you’re gratuitously dimishing our work just because we didn’t chose to use your models and cater to your own specific views.
I think I didn’t even need to list what was improved, as the differences should be night and day to anyone. Even comparing to the latest release from the Alkjam they’re substantial, much less to the first 1.0 pack.

Even then, let’s go:

• 5 new enemies - among these, only one is a direct port (even that got some polish as well), the other ones varying from massively reworked to 100% original;
  • ALL monsters got revised and updated somehow - rebalancing, behavior improvements, bug fixes, new skins, new models, new sounds, you name it.
  • added pain skin variations to almost all non-robotic mobs;
  • added a new weapon - the Proximity Launcher from SoA, which was remodeled and reskinned completely;
  • various revised and improved weapons: new sound effects, and a new high-FPS Super Nailgun model;
  • 4 new maps, plus almost all others were updated for bug corrections, gameplay improvements, and to include some of the new stuff;
  • 3 new music tracks;
  • new powerups
  • a completely new expanded custom HUD;
  • engine-independant bulletholes and footstep sound effects;
  • new gib models and code for all monsters;
  • massive increase in the mapping featureset, making it one of the most capable and complete around;
  • COUNTLESS bugfixes and small improvements;
  • a lot more other stuff I’m forgetting right now

All in all, there where about 350 commits to our code repository after the 1.0 release. So saying that there’s nothing new besides the the 3 model updates you mentioned, is a bold statement, to say the least.

Thank you for your detailed answer. I didn’t mean to offend anyone. I bow low to you for your wonderful teamwork. None of the proposed models is mine. I can only offer them as an alternative. The maximum that I change in models is the animation of movement and sometimes skins. I was talking about model changes between the 1.0 and 1.1 packs. I wasn’t talking about changes in the *.qc files and adding new maps. I found a knight model. It turns out you renamed it sabreknight. My apologies.

I really respect your work because I myself have been correcting the MD5 animation of models from Q2021 for more than three months and I understand how long and tedious it is to do.

Only one of the viewmodels in Alkaline uses the original 1996 model, and the rocket launcher model is literally from the 2021 remaster. Greenwood has already explained to you that more polygons do not necessarily mean better models, and that your replacements do not match the team’s vision. Coming into another thread to complain doesn’t change this, and only reflects poorly on you.

I think language barrier brings a lot of confusion to this conversation.

I didn’t complain. Just added my opinion. I liked the new level with jumping boots. You’ve done a good job. And I heard you from the first message. Don’t be offended. )))

I understand perfectly well what they are writing to me here and I do not impose myself with my proposals. It’s probably me writing phrases with mistakes. These are just my suggestions. I repeat again - no offense guys. )))

@‘Andrew’, momentarily it could look like you were offended that they decided not to include your option offers, while you commented on the changelog, regarding visual assets. I think that if you are using some translator machine and are translating from a foreign language to contemporary lingua franca, it would be good to have that information transparently put in your forum description - if some kind of stamp, visible under each post, was available - because it may affect the reception of what you write.

Guys, all around, stop assuming bad things and start assuming positive intentions. No one benefits from bickering or snide remarks. We all like this game, maybe in different aspects, right?

I didn’t mean to offend anyone at all. Can the administrator delete all messages with our verbal battles? I didn’t even think that people could react so painfully to my neutral and harmless criticism and suggestions. I use Yandex Translator to speed up typing and make sure to check its translation.

By the way! The animation of the super nail gun and its model were done great! It’s a pity there is not enough smoke from the barrels after shots like in Quake 1.5.

May peace come with you, friends!

[quote=Andrew]I didn’t mean to offend anyone at all. Can the administrator delete all messages with our verbal battles? I didn’t even think that people could react so painfully to my neutral and harmless criticism and suggestions. I use Yandex Translator to speed up typing and make sure to check its translation.

By the way! The animation of the super nail gun and its model were done great! It’s a pity there is not enough smoke from the barrels after shots like in Quake 1.5.

May peace come with you, friends![/quote]
Ok, no problem. I know it’s easy to get the wrong tone in online conversations unfortunately, plus language barrier can also be an issue sometimes.
No hard feelings :slight_smile:

Too much talkin. You better be playin!
New monsters are pretty cool. Alive mine is my favourite!

https://i.imgur.com/qe0SCAs.png

https://i.imgur.com/ac48hL1.png

https://i.imgur.com/xuxMyj7.png

https://i.imgur.com/NJdRwdO.png

https://i.imgur.com/Gc4XB2A.png

https://i.imgur.com/kYQgTqA.png

Also pulse rifle is much better now. Initially it was not SOOO satisfying

So everything has been passed for a long time since the release of version 1.0. The new levels of version 1.1 have also already been passed last week. )))
I don’t just talk like that, but I speak only after I’ve gone through everything and made my conclusions.
Maybe I’m wrong, but I’ve already seen the map “Logistics of Chaos” somewhere before.
But whatever I say or criticize everything is done very well and interestingly!

Logistics of Chaos, North Central Positronics, and Derelict Freighter are all updated maps originally made for Alkaline Jam. Overengineering Mania was originally made for January Jump Jam in 2020.

Thanks a lot! I didn’t even think about Alkaline Jam! )))

The animation of the rotation of the super nailgun is just cool! And the model has been greatly improved and rounded off. It 's a pity that it doesn’t rotate like that in the original game. Of course, if you don’t have the original qc files. )))

Really liked new dog and cyberknight models. And what I didn’t expect at all was mechanical spyder-kamikaze.
Will a new devkit be released?

Hey there, I was playing through this on hard and I had a blast, until I reached Tellus Terminus, and apparently I can’t proceed because of a bug.
There’s this room with Axe Grunts where you’re supposed to pick up a chainsaw and more will spawn in before the room descends like an elevator. However, the chainsaw isn’t there and not Axe Grunts spawn for me so I can’t proceed.
I tried it on nightmare from a fresh start and it’s still not there. Not sure what happened.

I remember there was a quad that helped to proceed. Played on hard too.
QSS 14.10.21
Playing on last 14.11.21 revision encountered such bugs on my config.

@rzh & qazzaq,

Thank you for reporting that issue regarding zigi’s map. It appears to only affect those playing with updated QSS and vkQuake ports that support the new Kex episode. For example, everything regarding that map appears to work just fine in the older vkQuake 1.05.1 edition.

…and yes, qazzaq, we fully intend on releasing an updated version of the dev kit very soon! :slight_smile:

UPDATE: The latest version of vkQuake (1.12.1) seems to be play zigi’s map fine now. :slight_smile: