c0921652cf0f392ad2aadb05777ab06a9e929f8ed61cd49db586b27f0b526076

c0921652cf0f392ad2aadb05777ab06a9e929f8ed61cd49db586b27f0b526076
overall_rating 4.5 76

Forum thread for travail

Unregistered user “Quaker” posted:

Played final 3 maps.

The Coagula map (qtfin1) was great, and the first fight with the boss was good, but it fell down in the last level - too easy, nothing new, although the crypt wasn’t bad and the ending text is worth rading.

Overall thought largely similar to before, distrans is the better of the two mappers but even the scragbait maps are pretty good. Especially when considering that there are at most five good or excellent free mission pack out there for Quake, there’s no excuse not to play Travail.

Unregistered user “MegaQuaker” posted:

Two episodes of good and big levels, need I say more? Well I guess maybe, this is like another mission pack (joining Nehahra and Soul of Evil in this category). Episode 2’s maps were best but the others weren’t a letdown! The only letdown really is the final boss, it’s too easy. But Nehahra messed up its boss sections worse than this.

Unregistered user “Scribbles” posted:

Wow - some blindingly awesome mappery in here. Overall, this package is absolutely brilliant because of the sheer amount of excellent quakey gameplay and levels - which are all of perfect length, I must add - not too big and not too small. However, I must say that the pack starts off on its weakest foot - the first 3 levels are strangely cramped and fiddly, full of 64-unit corridors and tiny walkways with all sorts of bits sticking out to snag you and send you plummeting - but these problems largely go away after about level 3 or so, and in the remaining - I dunno is it 12? - levels, it pretty much reaches Quake perfection!

Unregistered user “Tronyn” posted:

I’m replaying this. So far I have just played through the opening maps - just like I remembered, totally the high-watermark for functional architecture in Quake. Great sense of exploration, and thoughtful design. Good secrets too.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Among all the great custom Quake addons, there are two legendary ones: Nehahra and this. Words can hardly describe both magnitude and beauty of this mission pack. Rarely will you finish a map under at least 20-30 minutes, and often because you have to stop for a while just to admire the landscape. It’s really THAT beautiful. Sometimes, it’s not about playing through a level, it’s walking through a piece of art. There’s always something new to see and you won’t stop before you have seen it all. Beautiful skyboxes, wonderful architecture, fantastic soundtrack (really try to avoid playing without it!). Even the boss levels are special and go far beyond being plain boring arenas. General gameplay difficulty is above average, yet managable. An absolute must-have/must-play/name-it-what-you-want experience! - Two technical tips at the end: A) Playback of the first demo deactivates weapon bobbing (cl_bob 0). You can fix this by starting the game like “-game travail +map start” (which will simply skip the demo). B) If you want transparent water, search for the Travail “Epsilon Build”. This one has VISed maps which looks nice, even though sometimes there are some visual glitches due to level design decisions (underwater parts that weren’t meant to be seen and therefore aren’t properly continued/finished).

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Worst map building ever. You will stuck and jammed every lift, corner, lamp on wall. Gameplay with this shorcomings feels like torture.

You are probably talking about the first episode? I don’t like that kind of style either. Try the other one.

Unregistered user “spy” posted:

5 stars

this is the best pak to date a five stars mod
the main flaw is texturing of an episode one
i’m a huge fun of the classic id texture
but the episode one should’ve been dressed in the custom set ala ep2