d4dc58d55932950f07caa77bfef8705f2929dad501ba47b94444fc42e604ab22

d4dc58d55932950f07caa77bfef8705f2929dad501ba47b94444fc42e604ab22
overall_rating 3.447368421052631 38

Forum thread for torture

[User added a rating.]

It has some nice details in brushwork here and there.

[User added a rating.]

yes it does.

agree

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Brushwork is excellent for that time. Really nice map with interesting ideas.

For a map from 1996 this is pretty impressive and original. The masks are splendid and the torture chambers are nice. Progression is somewhat non-linear and you move around the map in lots of interesting ways, through trapdoors and lifts, secret passageways and partly hidden gaps.

There do seem to be perhaps too many different wall and ceiling textures competing for attention and perhaps lighting and overall polish could have been better in places, but gameplay is engaging enough that it is easy not to notice. In fact, there is quite a lot going on and this ends up feeling quite complex for such a small and short map.

[User added a rating.]

Torture on The Quake Grave

This is easily one of my favorite maps from 1996! The custom brushwork is great (The skull and masks), I love the scripted moments with enemies and the torture area of the map is very creative. The whole thing was made with a lot of love and care for detail and quality. My only gripe would be how it seemed very unintuitive to find the last chamber to finish the level (which you can see in the playthrough). I can’t really give it too many marks down for it because it’s almost more of a puzzle but it did bring the flow of the map to a crawl when it was otherwise grat. This is definitely a replayable map for me!

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

I really enjoyed this one, it’s amazing for 1996. The masks and torture devices are really cool and the overall visuals are great. The combat is also very good and I love non-linearity in maps. One of the earliest Quake maps that’s worth playing in my opinion. Give it a playthrough. 4/5

[User added a rating.]

Very nice for the date, though it does feel a bit arbitrary and the ending is very sudden, just as you feel you’re getting somewhere. Still, worth a play even in 2015. Three stars.

[User added a rating.]