da3f79951fc4333645d11ddef82820b1aa1eefaecb4b9a42952cf19e05f9b9dd

da3f79951fc4333645d11ddef82820b1aa1eefaecb4b9a42952cf19e05f9b9dd
overall_rating 4.621212121212121 66

Forum thread for mapjam6

Unregistered user “Qmaster” posted:

I’m using Quakespasm with the instructed parameters and the EricW & Tronyn level lags substantially. Any help?

Unregistered user “Tronyn” posted:

Vis didn’t finish in time for this release (we were lucky to include it at all), but we are going to release an vised/finalized version in the next while, so if your system is a bit older you may want to just wait for that.

Who is Vis? I don’t see that as an author.

lol sorry, Vis is a program that optimizes map speeds. Maps that are not Vis-ed will be slower.

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “guru” posted:

Huh, unvised? The huge map? That is ridiculous!
There are some maps with low-fps in this pack.
Do the mappers know of quake engine limits? Some mappers names i never heard of.

Scampies is my favorite map of these all, followed by Ionous. Both play and look great and they reminded me of quakemaps most. Necros map looked nicest to me, must have been a pain to build.
Sadly it runs unsmooth, the terrain feels wonky and the walls start to flicker at the edges. So far so meh.

[User added a rating.]

I agree it is “ridiculous” but you are talking about free content here guru. even from that view please note the above quote: “we are going to release an vised/finalized version in the next while, so if your system is a bit older you may want to just wait for that.”

Unregistered user “Dominic White” posted:

Really impressive looking jam pack, although I think I’ll wait on a V1.1 release of that UnVis’d map. Don’t think I’ve ever seen Quakespasm drop below 60fps on my machine until today, but it CRAWLED on that one when I tried.

More occlusion kplz!

Actually I solved it, make the heapsive really big. They say 65536 but maybe go 131072 or 262144.

The Tronyn/EricW map needs just over 64000 heap (less than 64100) to run AT ALL. Such little spare over the requirement will slow it to a crawl. (Sorry for split post)

Unregistered user “Dominic White” posted:

Ha, yes, cranking up the Heapsize works. Framerate isn’t quite 60fps, but it’s vastly improved. Can’t wait to see the results of the Vis’d version later.

[User added a rating.]

Tronyn, I’m impressed that you remained so gracious in response to guru’s astonishing whining. How anyone has the gall to complain about these awesome free maps just baffles me. If they don’t like it, they can have their money back!

Meanwhile … 76.2 Mb has to be new record download size!

Well, pathetically, I am stuck already. Playing Adib Murad’s Signati (jam6_adib) on Hard, I have killed the first seven scrags and made my way down to the blue-armour plinth in the second lava-floored room. Now what? The big button on the floor of the other plinth does nothing. Am I being very dumb? What am I missing?

(I’m using QuakeSpasm 0.90.0)

Finished Breezeep’s Of the Flames in the Stars on Hard with 66/78 kills, but none of the four secrets. I killed everything I saw, so I assume that the other 12 kills are hidden in the secrets.

As far as I can tell, this is Breezeep’s first map: if so, it’s an astonishing debut, making good use of Fodrian textures to present a beautiful environment with some interesting combats. It does feel a little derivative – of one map in particular whose name I now can’t remember, I think it might have been one of the Lost Chapters. And there is a slightly arbitrary feel to the progression, as though the player is being put through his paces rather than discovering a real place. But still, worthy of four stars in isolation, even by 2015 standards, which makes it I think the best debut I can remember seeing.

I’m really looking forward to seeing what Breezeep can do when he hits his stride!

Have not played all of these yet, but Itendswithtens’s map is my current Favourite Thing Ever!

Unregistered user “guru” posted:

Its not a quake map, i can see why you like that crude wack.