ea7da982ae07dd76f53b9277624b533ca1afd97fb91a2806a577ab30d540fca8

ea7da982ae07dd76f53b9277624b533ca1afd97fb91a2806a577ab30d540fca8
overall_rating 3.260869565217391 23

Forum thread for fromhell

Unregistered user “Walter” posted:

(2.3/5 with 3 ratings) ??
this is actually wonderful map
especially if you take into account that it’s his first quake map
the simple fact that I remembered it after some 10 years from the time I first saw it comfirms it

disturbing concept but consistently inventive construction. awesome twitchy gameplay.

Weird theme for a quake map, but well used, even more if it’s his first public released map. The map is interesting all along it, the monsters are well used, specially the dogs, the layout is good and the brushwork is simple but effective. Ammo, health and armor are OK.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

I expected this map to be an ambitious idea poorly executed, but it actually plays rather well, even though it seems to suffer from an identity crisis – it starts off as a spooky Victorian period piece and later suddenly turns into a standard (but competently designed) Quake level.

Of course, like in Ghost Town by Roger Staines, the monsters do not really fit the setting, but it’s arguably easier to forgive demons here, given the diabolical pseudohistorical popular image of Jack the Ripper – one could imagine, for instance, that in this map the murders opened a portal to Hell. Or something.

Shooting the dead victims is an innovative (albeit macabre) gameplay mechanic – but I just cannot shake the feeling that it is in very poor taste. Besides, the use of dead grunts to stand in for the victims is jarring. After playing further through the map, one can understand why the author did not want to introduce a new character model for the victims lying in the streets, but something like a chalk outline or an abstract symbol would have worked a lot better. And really, different wording could have been used to tell the player what to do.

[User added a rating.]

Scores for being unique, but the execution is just not there.

[User added a rating.]

i agree with icantthinkofanickname completely.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]