Forum thread for runfear
Had lots of fun, especially with the scripted lights-off moments and jumping.
[User added a rating.]
[User added a rating.]
[User added a rating.]
[User added a rating.]
Runic Fear is a fun throwback level that feels like it could fit right in with maps from the 90’s. The big difference is that it’s well made! Obviously a bunch of those old maps are a bit ugly and the design work is questionable, but Runic Fear is nice to look at, pretty easy to navigate, challenging and it moves at a good clip too. Definitely worth checking out for some quick 90’s styled Quake!
[User added a rating.]
Unregistered user “Amph” posted:
Short and sweet. Some nice little platformy bits that don’t require DeFRag levels of skill, some hectic close quarters fights that require you to conserve ammo. I like how pithy and grim the onscreen messages are.
“Not yet.”
“No escape.”
Well paced, with a clear beginning, middle, and end. There’s a bit near the end that had some brilliant visual foreshadowing. It let the player know that things were about to get messy in a way that was subtle but easy to understand. Great work, can’t wait for any future releases.
[User added a rating.]
Enjoyable in a very retro way. I would classify this as high on competence, but low on inspiration. I hope that the author will go on to more ambitious things.
Fun retromap! Quake fundamentals at its finest. Looking forward to more.
[User added a rating.]
[User added a rating.]
I had fun too, and I must be getting good at Quake to manage Hard skill without dying. Only reason I’m not giving it a 4 is that it’s too brightly lit in most places. Runic textures look best when it’s darker, and deep, looming shadows would’ve hidden the simple brushwork a bit. ![]()
[User added a rating.]
Great old school and first? time mapper.
Some truly unnerving elements at work here with some devious but suited traps. Hope to see more from Super!
[User added a rating.]
[User added a rating.]
[User added a rating.]