A question to all knowledgeable people!
Whatever I do with the models in Blender, when converting the model to MDL format with transparency activated in the menu, they still get a texture in BMP format that does not support the alpha channel. In its original form, the model has a texture in PNG format with an alpha channel. But when I open a model from custom modifications in MDL format in the viewer, I see trees and pines with leaves and needles displayed with a black frame, and in the game these textures become transparent! Transparent! Question: How? In what editor are these models created for the game and how are they converted to MDL, so that when the game starts, the transparency of the textures of leaves, branches, etc. is activated? With what program should a PNG texture with an alpha channel be placed in the MDL model? How to do it?
I didn’t find anything on the Internet, only a viewer for Half-Life (H1MV), but this viewer is not compatible with Quake (Q1MV) models, although it is similar to it and it has a built-in transparency activation menu.
Example of tree screenshots with model visualization stages and description:
Archive with description and examples of tree models:
Repeating the text in the screenshot:
- A highly polygonal model in a Blender with activated transparent leaf textures in PNG format with an alpha channel.
- The model in the game converted to MDL format has solid opaque leaf textures due to the fact that when converting the texture format changed to a BMP that does not support the alpha channel.
- A model in the game with an external texture connected in PNG format with an alpha channel. When converting from Blender to MDL, information about texture transparency remained inside the model.
- A model from some modification for Quake in MDL format in the “QME 3.1” and “Q1MV 0.5” viewers has solid opaque leaf textures. Only it is not clear what texture is embedded in this model initially when converting from the source file?
- The model in the game has transparent leaf textures with an alpha channel!!!
P.S.: I apologize for my poor knowledge of English.
With best wishes,