overall_rating 3.404040404040404 11

Forum thread for fbj

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

For once, a map pack that use Doom textures, but (mostly) avoids remakes of old Doom levels!

As in all community map packs, there is a rather wide spacing of the quality of the individual maps, but the general quality is good. Some of the maps really hit the mood of ol’ Doom, others are very intersting hybrids, but (nearly) all are worth playing!

Well done everyone. Thanks for your efforts, and thanks for sharing!

[User added a rating.]

Unregistered user “JagTaggart” posted:

One of the maps, I think it was Zigi’s was painful. I liked some of the ideas in it, but there’s an intensely flashing red hallway that really hurt trying to navigate. I’m still hurting, and I don’t suffer from seizures or anything like it,

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

Randomly, I played Helltek Infernal (fbj_shades) first. I enjoyed it as an uncomplicated blast with a fun final arena battle. But I may be in the minority here is just not liking those ugly old Doom textures. There’s a reason ID didn’t use them for Quake. For me, they made the map less enjoyable than it would have been, at doesn’t bode well for the rest of the pack.

Entryway a la Fireblu (fbj_chuma) was fine, but crude. It felt very much like Doom, which I suppose was the goal. I missed a big chunk of the map somehow, and ended up with only 35 of the 48 kills.

FIREBLU Infestation (fbj_avix) was shaping up to be my favourite of these maps so far, when suddenly … it was over. A nice start.

I had a similar feeling about Rottensweet - by Adib Murad (fbj_adib) — fun but very short. But in this case that wasn’t so bad, because the whole map was visible as a floating castle from the beginning, so there was a nice tangible feeling of progress towards the summit, and the ending didn’t come as a surprise.

Serried Edifice (fbj_ishv3) is a hard challenge but unfortunately not in a good way. It’s tough even to look at, with glaring bright flashing textures, and it works largely by ambushes. I admit it was satisfying to get to the end (with 30 of the 35 kills, having skipped all those shamblers and probably missed some other things). But it was a grim satisfaction, not a joyful one.

Dis Nuts (fbj_konig) is not my kind of thing at all.

Brain Consumer (fbj_zigi) is an interesting sequence of set-pieces, with the reverse Chthon a particular highlight. It’s disjointed, but presents an enjoyable challenge. The flashing maze with the ghost fiends was a definite lowlight.

Die Farbe (fbj_recycledoj) is a fairly classic two-side-quests-for-the-gold-and-silver-keys map with an enjoyable climax in which waves of enemies are unleashed by dropping grenades in boxes, Honey-style. It’s fine, but yet again I find myself thinking how much more enjoyable it would have been with classic Quake textures.