c9f685423e0281d70e59cff4cc4cc479be00fe3cd6b4c8256afe5a500ed73ff7

c9f685423e0281d70e59cff4cc4cc479be00fe3cd6b4c8256afe5a500ed73ff7
overall_rating 4.116279069767442 43

Forum thread for descent

Unregistered user “Ron” posted:

I agree with the post by MegaQuaker, though I’m tempted to rate it higher then Beyond Belief. Come to think of it, if you were to put Beyond Belief, Soul of Evil (1) and the Final Descent together with a new start map you’d have a new and improved version of the original game.

About the design, it may not look like some of the graphical masterpieces we’ve been spoiled with over the years, but it doesn’t look bad either. Some ceiling look really nice, curved and textured. The lights are rather cool too, with lots of variation and shadows. I really like the open stairs with the light coming from behind, they create nice shadows.

I was able to find all the secrets, (something that really pisses me off when I can’t …), they were well done, but they did often give you a little too much power sometimes. You can do stuff without a Quad and a Megahealth too, only it takes a little longer.

There will always be people bitching about the rating, so I will do so to and say this is an excellent release, still good fun after 10 years.
Of course you can’t really say what release is better then the other.

By the way, the author, Mike Wilberforce, has a site dedicated to Unreal single player maps. He’'s made quite a few of them too. It’s at

http://www.unrealsp.org/

Unregistered user “MegaQuaker” posted:

You say you think it may be better than Beyond Belief, which is fine, but you don’t explain how. I’d be interested in how you arrived at that conclusion.

Unregistered user “Ron” posted:

Hi.
I replayed Beyond Belief and it’s also very good. But this pack is more unique with it’s new(ish) monsters, the statues and new weapons. But like I said before, you can’t really tell which is better, I just wanted to point out that this is a very good pack too, because I think “Nice” doesn’t quite do it justice.

Unregistered user “MegaQuaker” posted:

I sort of agree, the maps are merely nice but as an episode it’s just a bit better than that. Found it well worth my time to play through, enjoyed it all especially the later maps.

Unregistered user “hkBattousai” posted:

I was disappointed at the beginning of the game, because the maps were too simple and dull. However, the second part of the game was hilarious. Modified monsters were pretty good, and I fell in love with that modified machine gun. I rated this pack of maps with five stars.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

really enjoyed it. some people may be put off by the odd scale of some of the areas in the first few levels. however there are nice areas in every map; sometimes they are a little low detail, but they are always nicely textured and what is there is good. the new weapons and monsters are nice and fit in well. it was just a little more difficult than the standard episodes, and had a very nice flow imo that saw me play through it in one day. i rate it a 4, the only weak point being the issues of construction noted above. i recommend this to everyone.

This is really good! Maybe the maps don’t have as many details as other packs released at the same time, but gameplay is entertaining. The whole episode feels polished with a solid boss fight at the end. Personally, I would count this towards the classics.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]

this is quite a bit of fun. easier than expected on hard skill, but it is nice to live through an entire map!
like another said, very dimension of the doomed. the modified monsters were quite enjoyable.
i was a little disappointed in the boss fight at the end, but not enough to downrate at all. i thought the construction was quite nice for the time as well.
i’m going to play beyond belief to see how this compares, if i can make one at all.

[User added a rating.]

[User added a rating.]